Breast feeding blues

• Last weekend I developed a sinus infection. Like always, I took Benedryl. Well, one morning after taking the meds a few times with in the past few days, I went to breast feed my baby and he couldn't get anything. The Benedryl had almost dried up my milk completely. I called my OB-GYN and she prescribed me something to try and help but my milk supply didn't come back. So, now I'm in the process of drying up whats left of the milk since there isn't enough to breast feed. Can anyone let me know if they have had to dry up breast milk and how long it took??

Thank you so much!!!

tracie0908

• Sorry you're having supply problems.  You should only need to supplement temporarily.  Keep nursing and your supply will be back in no time!

• It should only take a few days. As wierd as it sounds, you can put cabbage leaves over your breasts in your bra and that will help speed the process. Not sure why, but it works.

• This is what I have learned due to my nursing issues with my son recently:

To dry up your breast milk, put ice packs on your breast.   You can also wear a tight bra, put ice packs on your breast and lay flat on your back (as per my OBs recommendation). 

Putting cabbage leaves on your breast also works.  I used both methods.  Just make sure that you cover all of your breast with the ice and cabbage leave.  I still have half of my breast producing milk from a tiny nipple pore (~.25 oz if I pump) :)

I doubt your milk supply is totally gone.  I'd give formula for until you get your milk supply back.  Get a lot of rest and keep pumping.  I found that rest and drinking a lot of water helped me.