Breastfeeding one side..

• I'm having issues when nursing or pumping. This is my second child but first time breastfeeding. I'm noticing that my right breast is able to produce about 2 oz a feed/pump session but i'm lucky if my left breast gets 1/4 of an oz. i have put him on the side that is low in hopes it would bring my milk down but 3 weeks and nothing... what more can i do? Thanks!

• Have you spoken to a breastfeeding consultant about this issue? It could be several things really. I have heard that what you eat can affect the amount of milk you produce as well as the quality. IT might be a good idea to give a consultant a call just to check it out. you don't want your baby to start loosing weight for lack of food. 

• I had the same issue they told me the more you nurse that side eventually it will come in and it did it just takes longer for feedings. as long your baby does not seem hungry after the feeding there should be no concern but mention it at your next visit.

• JenJenRP - It's been a few days...have you found a solution? I hope things are going better for you. We'd love an update! 

• I agree with the others...keep putting him on that side first and make him nurse there. Also, talk to a lactation nurse to be sure there isn't a problem. If he keeps nursing on that side, then your milk will come in there as well. Good luck and let us know what works!

• Why is it that most of the breastfeeding Moms said that the right breast produces more milk than left breast? Is it normal? Even I, I also experience that kind of situation. I ate healthy foods,vegetables, fruits and soup but normally as I had observed my right breast produces more milk than left, although left produce milk but not the same with the right one.

• Studies show that the right breast produces more milk in most breastfeeding women. There are some theories, such as the fact that the right breast has greater blood flow than the left, but there is no certain answer. I myself produce more in the left, so go figure. :-p You are quite normal!! 

• Omg i am having the same problem i thought i was going crazy.... i pump and breast feed my baby and well she just wont latch on to my left boob and the right she great at it so i have to pump the left one but very lil comes out!! jeez fustrating... so now i am forced to give her formula most of the time because it doesnt fill her, and pump here and there and give her what i can from the breast milk cuz im still only producing 1oz from right

• Keep in mind that what you are able to pump in oz is less that what the baby is getting when you actually nurse. The baby's suck is MUCH stronger than the pump, and that is what your body is designed for, so sometimes it is hard to get a good amount of milk when you are pumping. As was stated earlier, the best way to get more milk out of one side is to just keep on trying to nurse on that side :)

• Jenna - yes...you are so right. A lot of moms really get worried because they pump only a few ounces and worry that the baby is not getting enough. However, a baby will get much more breast milk from suckling than pumping will get. The key is to really make sure that the baby is having enough poopy and pee diapers for their age and gaining weight appropriately. Some mothers do need to feed more often than others - everyone is different!