bottles

• do you sanitizer the bottles and for how long?  do you use boiled water to use with the formula?  and for how long? 

• I sanitize our bottles in boiling water, and have also used pouches that go into the microwave and you steam-sanitize, which is a little more pricey. Usually I do 3 mins. I use bottled water for formula.

• I sanitize everything new. Bottles, nipples, and binkies. I usually just put them in the dishwasher on high temp. I also boil the water until its at a rapid boil for only a few minutes and then let it cool before preparing the formula.

• hey just for like 7sec. the most add hot water & then cool it off.Big Smile

• Ongoing bottle and water sanitization, while it can be done for all babies, is more important for premature babies or those with health concerns or if you have concerns about your water supply.  You should check your particular situation easily by calling your pediatrician’s nurse.  Because if you are told that you need to sanitize/boil, it will be quite important for the baby, and if they say you don’t need to, you may save yourself a lot of time (unless of course you want to do it).  I liked the suggestions the others put for how to do the bottle sanitization.  I only sanitized the bottles/rings/nipples prior to the first-ever use after I bought them.  Between subsequent uses, I just cleaned thoroughly with hot water and detergent (I did have a dedicated bottle/nipple brush just for that).  For making formula, I always used water straight from the tap.  Again, if you need or choose to use an alternative source, you can boil it, or supermarkets sell gallon bottles of ‘nursery water’ for this – usually in the formula aisle.

• I don't boil the bottles themselves. I use playtex nursers with drop-ins. The drop in liners come sterile, the formula never touches the bottle itself so no need there. I just wash them with hot soapy water. Same with the rings and lids. The nipples I boil every so often and wash with hot soapy water in between. To mix the formula I keep a pitcher of boiled, cooled water on hand or use bottled water if necessary.

• Just put a pot of water on the stove let it get to a rapid boil.

boil the nipples and the bottle for 5 mins most bottles come with an insert that tell you boil for five min before first use.

Then you can use hot water and dish soap make sure you rinse them good after each use.

You can sanitizer as much as you want but you really just need to do it before the first use and a few times a month..

• nesa_z

I don't boil the bottles themselves. I use playtex nursers with drop-ins. The drop in liners come sterile, the formula never touches the bottle itself so no need there. I just wash them with hot soapy water. Same with the rings and lids. The nipples I boil every so often and wash with hot soapy water in between. To mix the formula I keep a pitcher of boiled, cooled water on hand or use bottled water if necessary.

It's good to know these relieve the sterilization process since ive been trying to figure out what bottles to put on my registry.  I picked the Playtex drop-ins 4oz & 8oz for registry items. How are they in the reducing gas & colic department?

My lamaze instructor said to go with Free-born b/c the they are not only BPA free but free of 2 other chemicals in plastic which have already been outlawed in France & some other Euro country.  Not outlawed here by the FDA yet. 

My sister-in-law loved the Dr. Browns which had the interior straw inside. 

Which bottles have you all had the best experiences with?

• As far as gas and colic with the drop ins, I have had very few problems. Because you can easily "burp" the bottle which is just pushing all the air out of the liner until the nipple is full of just formula. This reduces the amount of air baby swallows. Not saying he never has a troublesome gas bubble, but it doesn't happen often.

• I used the drop in with my first but where not as good and made lots of garbage plus if you run out of drop ins you have to run out to the store very quick.

I like the advent bottles I did a lot of resarch on bottle before I decided to go with them and they all fit into the advent pump so I can cap them I breastfeed/pump and use formula and it seems that the advent bottles work better than the drop in systems-You have to use what is going to work best for you and your baby and your lifestyle you might put some bottles on your registery and the baby will not like them I would buy one type of bottle at a time of the brands you are considering and not open any of the large "starter packs" you might get then you can take them back and exchange them if you have to. As long as you and your baby are happy you should do what is best for you and baby. Most bottles now are BPA free you just have to check the lables. Good Luck!

• I love the Playtex Nursers but I prefer the standard liners to the drop-ins because they are easier to burp and travel better.