Transition from Breastfeeding to Bottle feeding

• My 4 and a half year old daughter has been breastfed till now. But now I want to bottle feed her. She is not at all drinking from the bottle. I have even tried with the sippy cup but no luck. Please advise how I can make her drink from the bottle as I will be joining back work soon.

• I think maybe you meant your four and half MONTH old?? If that is the case, then you need to introduce the bottle each day. Let someone else in your family try and feed her with the bottle when you are not in the room. Experiment with different bottle types and nipple shapes to find the one that she prefers. If you are not in the room, she may take a bottle better since she has no other alternative. Hope this helps. If you still have trouble getting her to take a bottle, talk with your pediatrician. There may be something she can recommend.

• Weaning your baby from breastfeeding to bottle feeding is not always easy, but there are a few tips you can try. Please don't feel discourage if it takes some time for your baby to get used to this transition. Try having someone else bottle feed your baby. Your infant is used to being fed by you and if you are present, she will want to breastfeed. Make sure the nipple on the bottle is similiar to your own nipples. Rub some breast milk on the tip of the nipple to entice her. Bottle feeding uses different muscles than breastfeeding, so it may take some time for your baby to put it all together. Don't worry about introducing the sippy cup just yet. Introduce one new thing at a time. Try the sippy cup after she gets used to the bottle and she will pick up the process much quicker. Good luck!