Homemade Baby Food

• I am currently making my daughter babyfood. 

Do you have any tips or tricks?  What foods are you making at home?  How old is your baby?

• My baby really likes rice and spinach. What i do is i add 1/2 cup of regular rice and some frozen chopped spinach with some butter and a pich of salt. Boil it unitl very tender. Keep checking and adding water when needed. But if you have a pressure cooker add 3 cups of water and cook it in the pressure cooker for 15 minutes and your set.

• oh yeah and my baby is 8  months now

• My daughter is 7 now, but I used to make her baby food.  I would often mix different protein, veggies, and carbs.  I had to be careful how much rice I gave her though.  It doesn't have much fiber in it, and it would cause constipation.  Oat or wheat cereal seemed to help her more.  Her favorite veggie was sweet potato.  I would cook items separately then put in a food processor then freeze in ice cube trays. 

• my daughter is 2 and her favorite food waschicken soup..  and it doesnt cause constipation for the most of the time... just take 2 whole legs of chicken.. boil for 20 minutes, then add carrots, celer, popatoes and little bit of rice... cook for additional 30 minutes.. add some salt when cooked, and i am sure you son will love this too

• Sweet Pot and Squash were my two favorites and easiest. I used the magic bullet and would add water when it got thick. put them right in the ice cube trays and thawed when needed.  This time around I think I will try to do more.

• Hey!  I'm an RD and mom of an active 10 month old boy. The magic bullet is awesome for baby food!  We borrowed one from a friend, and now I'm looking for  a cheap one on craigslist for Christmas! Made it SO easy!  I try to stick with what's in season.  Remember that those fruits and veggies that are in season will have the most nutrients and taste the best.  Otherwise, frozen veggies over canned for nutrition sake and often over fresh for costs sake.  Caden likes the following (wash, prep, steam in microwave or on stovetop until very soft, then blend to desired consistency-smooth with water-some chunks-lumpy for older kiddos):

-bananas, avocados, beets, squash, green beans, peas, carrots, pears, applesauce, plain yogurt (unsweetened and NO honey till after a year), mashed cooked egg yolk, around 7-8 months you can blend up some chicken or beef

-Caden loves "tropical treat"=mango, banana, and avocado mashed together and cooked in the microwave for a couple minutes, then cooled.

-meats and cereals seem to go down quicker for Caden when paired with fruits such as applesauce and/or pears

-Remember to always try single ingredient foods first before combining them- 3 day window at LEAST (I know you all know this, but I just have to say it anyway)  :)

Happy food making! :)

• There are some really great books out there for moms that want to make their own baby food. I made baby food for all of my children and it is super easy once you get started. I used to browse the baby food aisle to get ideas on combinations to make for my babies! My kids used to love a breakfast I made called Hawaii 5-0... it was rice cereal or oatmeal cereal mixed with a mushed up bananna and some pineapple juice!