my 41/2 month old still wont sleep!

• I have a 4 1/2 month old baby girl, she eats pretty well considering her heart problem. She stll wakes up 2 or 3 times during the night. I have been feeding her cereal and still wont help. What can I do to get her to sleep longer? help!

• How long does she sleep at night? Babies with heart problems are going to be a little different from other babies and she may not sleep as well for a while. Talk to your doctor about things you can do to help her sleep better. Before you try anything, be sure that it is safe for her considering her heart defect.

Ask your doctor if you can try increasing her feedings during the daytime. Babies need a certain amount of food in order to grow. If they don't get enough during the day, they will wake up at night to get more. If you increase her bottle feedings during the day, she might not need as much at night.

Also, you could try and establish a set bedtime schedule for nighttime. Bathe her in warm water with a bit of lavender in it . Dress her for bed and give her a bottle. Then put her down to sleep in her crib and see if she doesn't start sleeping better.

Talk to your doctor and make sure there isn't anything going on that he needs to be aware of. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

• Well  I usually put her down at 10, then she sometimes still wakes at 12 30, then other times shell sleep till 330 and then wake at 630 or 7 in the morning. I do have a bathtime routine, I do for her and get her pajamas on. I feed her as much as she will take during the day. I am gonna say it has to do with her weight maybe when she gains another pound or 2 she will hopefully start sleeping threw the night.

• It sounds like you have a pretty good handle on it, and that MommyRN gave great advice.

• Does your baby take a pacifier?  I noticed with my little guy that when he would wake up in the night, all he needed was a pacifier.  I used to feed him b/c I just assumed he was hungry.  Now is 6 months and sleeps from 9pm until 8:30am without a feeding, but I do have to get up once or so to give him his paci back.  Good luck! :)

• Although it’s hard sometimes, I think you are putting her down to bed too late.  She should be going to bed around 8pm.  People say give them a bath before bed but who has the time to do that every night.  The trick for me was to find something and do it every time.  What I found was a baby Einstein cd classic lullabies.  I had my daughter sleeping through the night at 3 months before I went back to work.  There is a great book that 6 of my friends have including myself called “healthy sleep habits, Happy child” by Marc Weissbluth.  All of us swear by it.  It has great tips and step by step programs for getting your baby to sleep through the night.  (I’ve dog-eared many pages if you do decide to get the book I can point you to good sections that might help.) 

• yes she does actually, thats usually what I do at night, but then she will still wake up again 2 or 3hrs later.  Man have u got it easy.

• Julie I think your right she is 5 months today, and it is time for her to be in bed earlier. You see when she is with her dad on the weekends he puts her down at 10 and i think thats to late now and I see another problem arising cuz of him. Anyways I will def have to get that book, and I my daughter loves ababy einstein! Didnt know they had classical lullabys, thanks again.

• Not so sure the actual bedtime has anything to do with it - every baby is different.  My 4 month old goes to bed at 10 p.m., but, since we found the right formula (i.e., one he wasn't allergic to), he's been sleeping until 4:30 or 5 a.m., then going back to sleep after his bottle and sleeping until 8 or 8:30.  My first was the same way.  Once we eliminated the food allergens that were contributing to reflux that disturbed their sleep, both of my babies have followed a similar schedule.  The later bedtime works well for our family, because baby would rarely have time to play with his dad if he were in bed by 8 p.m.  Since we can have a later wake up (which I much prefer to a baby up at 6 a.m.), he still gets the amount of sleep he needs with his daytime naps.