BREASTFEEDING AND BOTTLE FEEDING

• I WANT MY HUBBY TO BE INVOLED WITH THE BABY AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST THAT WE CAN DO SO HE CAN BE INVOLVED WITH FEEDINGS?  I AM GOING TO HAVE A PUMP, BUT I KNOW IF YOU DON'T PUMP/FEED YOUR MILK WILL DRY UP AT THAT TIME.  

• Hmm.  He can burp the baby after feeding.  He can also be the one to bring the hungry baby to you at night so that you don't have to get out of bed.

• Yes if you want to pump it is recommended to do it at least every 4 hours to keep up the milk supply.  Breastfeeding is a wonderful thing, but if its not possible pumping is a great option. 

• In order to keep your milk supply in perfect condition, try to resist pumping as much as possible. If your husband wants to be involved in feeding, then maybe he can feed the baby a bottle of pumped milk every 3 days. Also, he can burp the baby, change the baby's diaper, and cuddle with the baby immediately after feeding. There are plenty of ways he can be involved without jeopardizing your milk!

• My baby was in the nicu for 3 weeks. I had to pump. She is now 3.5 mos old and does great no matter what she's offered. I do pump mostly, but she has no problems taking to the breast either. I do suggest renting the symphony pump by medela if you plan on pumping much. I have the pump in style which is like 1 step down, and started dropping off on the quantity, but within a couple days back on the symphony, i was back to normal.  Good luck! Also, my son(8yrs old now)  never had any issues going from one to the other. I also 95% of the time pump, as i am paranoid and must know how much shes getting, and i pump 37-42oz a day. Once again good luck with what ever you decide!