Breastfeeding - Should I or Shouldn't I

• I am pregnant with my third child and I am debating wether or not to breastfeed.  With my first child I had low mik production and I had to supplement with formula. Then after about three months of this I dried up completely.  With my second child it was so much worse.  It hurt so much I would cry with every feeding and I still had to supplement with formula. After about a month I finally gave up.  What I want to know is if anyone has had success with breastfeeding even after being unable to breastfeed previous children?

• What kind of support/help did you have the previous times?  You should consider going to a La Leche League meeting and/or talking with a lactation consultant.  They can help you be prepared and support you if you run into any difficulties.

Given the benefits of breastfeeding, it will be great for you to try again.

• I echo what APmomma said - are there any untapped resources that you might be able to utilize for this third baby? La Leche League is a great resource for breastfeeding and you might even call a lactation consultant before you have your baby to ask their advice on how things could be different for you this time around. Breastfeeding really is best for your baby, so I might give it a try. I can't say I know someone who has tried three times but I do have two friends who had no success with their first babies and the second was a totally different story. As a nursery RN, I have heard many moms say how surprised they are at how different each baby is. Doesn't hurt to give it a try! :-)

• I tried nursing my first 3. I make enough of the front milk but dont produce the hind milk. with my 4th baby I just decided to formula feed right from the start. its really what you are comfortable with

• I agree, before you give up completely, talk to a lactation nurse or someone from the la leche league and get some help. Also talk to your doctor about your concerns and wishes and see what other resources may be available to you. Then once your baby is born, give it another shot. Good luck and congratulations on your 3rd pregnancy!

• No, but don't give up. it should be easier.

• You should do what YOU feel is right. You know in your heart what would be best for everyone. If breastfeeding is that much of an issue, then you will not be happy, and in turn the baby won't be happy. However, if you feel as though you can go through it all over again, go for it! They all say "breast is best" but they all also don't take into consideration what is best for Mom. I was fortunate that I was able to breastfeed without issues for Jonathan's first 6.5 months. I don't believe that anyone should take a "hardline" stand on whether breastfeeding is the only way to go, or formula is the only way to do things. We should all support one another. We mothers are in this together and should be more than willing to help another mother out in whatever way we can! That said..... Congratulations on your future bundle of joy!! and do what you think would benefit all in your home. Best of luck, and happy holidays!

• Definitely do what you feel comfortable with. If you want to give it a try using different resources this time then go for it, but don't feel badly if it doesn't work out for you. Baby needs you to be a happy mom!

• I'm not sure about a "lactation nurse," but you can search online for a lactation consultant.

Congrats on your growing family!

<<big hugs>>

• When I had my first son, i breastfed but i went inverted and had to stop, my second I formula fed, and now with this one I want to....I am going to try though even if it doesn't work well I least I know i tried to and that is all anyone can do, Right?

• Don't give up, it's so good for baby that you owe it to both of you to try again

Get help at the hospital, my hospital offered in house help if i needed it too. Sometimes it's even free.

• Big Smilewell i did with my first and  it went good well after the 6 time of me trying to get him to latch on the right way but he got it i got it and it helped both of us i healed faster and he got full and we both got to sleep better because he was happy so i would say go ahead and try agin it will help you and the baby you will be more happy trust me im going to do it with this one when she comes

• I was in the same situation. I have polycystic ovary syndrome and with both my children I tried for weeks doing everything the lactation consultants said to do. After pumping every couple of hours and taking domperidone to increase my milk and I still only made half an ounce. With my first i used supplemental nurser device. It was frustrating to me. With my second I decided to bottle feed and let him comfort suck. I do not have to worry about how much I am making and he is comforted by being close to me. This works for me and you should do what is right for you. I would talk to a lactation consultant but honestly they didn't necessarily give me any false hope that I would make enough milk with my second. When you are happy and not stressed out than baby is happy. I noticed this with my own children and the difference in both of them. If you give your children lots of love that is what matters.