Baby stopped breastfeeding at 3 months and i'm not ready to stop!

• My daughter is 3 months old and has started a breastfeeding strike! i have pumped for the past 6 weeks or so while im at work so therefore she has taken "mommy's milk" in bottles from her grandma during the day. Just this past weekend she is refusing my nursing and screams when I offer it to her. She will do the middle of the night feedings but I'm afraid that will soon stop too. How do i get her to continue to nurse and take a bottle. I'm not ready to stop :(

• Toshamillan- First of all take a deep breath-everything is going to be ok. I can imagine that you are feeling anxious about this, and the anxiety in itself can be felt by baby...so deep breaths and relax as you are able. What an amazing gift you are giving your baby in not only pumping for her for the hours that you are gone, but in offering her an amazing caregiver while you are away, AND in continuing to breastfeed when you are home. I think you are entitled to a supermom badge! One of my first questions is what kind of bottle are you bottle feeding her with? Many mom's find that the avent bottles are the closest to the nipple and so this might be a good bottle to try. IN regard to breast feeding, keep trying. Calming offer her the breast. If she refuses, stay calm, give her a few minutes and offer again. If you are still having trouble you might consider meeting with a lactation consultant. These specialty nurses can offer some great insight and advice. Try persisting with the breast feeding in a calm and nurturing way and see where you are at in another 24-48 hours. Big hug coming your way, Jess
  • Some babies get used to a bottle while away from mommy and then go on a mini-strike when trying to go back. Don't give up!! Try having your daughter drink from a slow flow nipple when she drinks from a bottle. That way she will not get used to your milk just pouring into her mouth with no effort. Some babies find breastfeeding too much work after effortlessly getting milk from a bottle, so you can make the bottle a bit more work for her. Also, when you have her at home, lay her on your chest skin to skin for a period of time each night. This encourages milk production and helps her to stay "in love" with breastfeeding. If possible, ask whoever is watching her to hold off on her last feeding before you get home and express some milk into her mouth before she latches on. This may help her be ready to go. Keep pumping if she won't feed from you and be patient - this will probably just be a temporary thing! If you continue to have trouble, call a lactation consultant to give you some more tips!

• You must try breastflow bottles, they are the best!! It makes them work at it just like the breast! Both of my children never had confusion, I went back and forth all the time. Babies R Us sells them, or look up to buy online. You will love them, everyone ask me where I got those bottles.

• Use a nipple shield, that is what I do.......it resembles a bottle nipple more.   Hopefully this works for you as it did for me...because I too was not ready to give up nursing!

• 2boyzmommy - great idea! I hadn't thought of that before...I'll have to keep that in mind!

• please don't you a nipple sheild! when using a nipple shield your baby is only getting the foremilk and not the hind milk. Therefore your baby won't get all the nutrients that she needs. Nipple sheilds are to be used for short amount of times when mothers have cracked/hurt nipples, not as a supplement to natural breastfeeding. I was sent home with one from the hospital and used it for 2.5 months and didn't know that it was wrong until my daughter started to suck my nipple through the shield and caused tearing int he tip of my nipple... daughter wasn't gaining weight good ect. I was taken off the nipple sheild which seriously took like 2 weeks for my daughter to be okay with (screaming fits) then everything went back to normal.

• I second the idea to try the First Years Breastflow bottles. When you turn them upside down, nothing drips out. The baby has to compress and suck to get anything out, similar to the effort required to breastfeed (which is a good thing, it helps jaw and teeth development!).

Keep trying when your daughter is sleepy (night-time, before and after naps)

If it's an option, could you have someone bring her to you over your lunch break to try to nurse, even just for a few days? 

Hang in there! Lots of people do make it through nursing strikes! 

• try this...lay on your back and lay baby on your stomach with her head in the crook of your arm and wrap your arm around her (if nursing on your left, hold her left leg). allow her to nurse and fall asleep that way. it calms my daughter when she's really fussy and she's 6 months. i gently rock too

• Toshamillian - did things improve for you? Have you been able to continue breastfeeding? I hope it all worked out - let us know!