Choosing activities

• Our older two daughters wish to be involved in everything. Ballet, gymnastics, soccer, art, music, girl scouts, etc. We love encouraging their interests to be well-rounded, but time and money are limited. Do we let our kids pick and choose the handful of activities we have resources for, or should parents decide for them?--Chris, Strongmoms facilitator

• Since they are old enough to express to you what they would like to do then i would first decide which ones are most affordable and fit into your schedule the best.... Then i would present those options to the girls and allow them to decide what they want to do. It is good for them to learn how to make their own decisions and they will be happier doing something that they have chosen vs something that you chose for them... even it is something that they would like anyway.

• I think it should be a joint decision with a transition to having the child pick as they get older!  

-Jess

• I tell my kids that they can only pick 1 activity because otherwise I would be a human taxi all week and it is expensive. It is a difficult choice, but then you really see which one they prefer most.