Grinding Teeth

• Both of my older girls have a brutal habit of grinding their teeth at night. Our pediatric dentist says they should begin to grow out of it, but they are grinding their baby teeth to dust and I don’t want these habits to continue into adolescence. Any advice? -- Chris, StrongMoms Facilitator

• Oh I am so interested in the answers here. My daughter grinds her front teeth and it sends chills up my spine!!! Her doctor said that i shouldn't worry about it too much and that they usually grow out of it, but i don't want it to become habit. What we have done is tell Hazel not to grind her teeth and touch her mouth so she kind of understands what we want her to stop doing. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. If she continues on i will give her something to occupy her mouth so that she stops. My problem with that is it seems like i'm rewarding the behavior... Ugh I'm at a loss!

• I don't know very much about this and I am curious as well.  What do others know?

-Jess

• There doesn't seem to be much concern among dentists, and it isn't a conscious behavior so beyond a mouth guard, I'm not sure what can be done. Do they even make mouth guards for young children?

• I work at the dental office. My 4 yo  grinds his teeth and also  my daughter  use to grind her teeth and is now past the grinding stage. We see a lot of kids that grind their teeth at a young age and all the parents are concerned. 9 times out of 10 they do grow out of it and if for some reason they dont they do have nightgaurd that they can wear. Hope that eases concern...

• Thanks Michelle! Your answer is what I think a lot of us are looking for! Another question answered by the Strongmoms community! The problem is it is still so difficult for me to hear them grind away, but that's my own issue!

• Michelle - good to know! Thanks for the information! I guess it's good they don't have their full adult teeth yet when they are in this stage! 

• All of my kids went through a phase where they were griding their teeth...they outgrew it without any damage. It is still painful to hear!