What age is it appropriate to drop off kids alone?

• My daughter is now in prime play date mode, enjoying the company of her many kindergarten friends. Recently, a parent of one of her friends said we should just drop her off and come back to pick her up after an hour or two. We don’t know the mom very well, so we were hesitant to send our daughter there alone. Is it inappropriate for the parent to stay even if the host has said we can leave and come back? Are we being paranoid? --Bonnie, Strongmoms facilitator

• Oh gosh I don't think you are being paranoid at all!!  I think the age depends on many factors including the individual child, the neighborhood (I grew up in a very small town where everyone knew each other) so this is different than a bigger city where you don't know the families as well.  Always follow your gut feeling when in doubt!  I don't think you are being over cautious at all.

-Jess

• Not at all! Safety of your daughter is more important than anything else. What someone else thinks should never be a reason to compromise your daughter's safety for a moment. If, after a time, you felt comfortable with the situation and climate in the house, you could then choose to leave. Or maybe the next time, you may feel comfortable. As the parent of a kindergarten student, your host should understand and not take offense. If she does, then so be it.