Extracurricular activities

• My sister has three boys and they are all involved in various extracurricular activities such as sports, debate, and music. She is running pretty ragged trying to keep up with it all. Do you think that you would try to limit the number of activities your children do to help them keep balance or would you just encourage your child to explore all that they can? -- Julie, Strongmoms Facilitator

• I think it really depends on the child, and their parents. If the mother and father are able to share equal responsibility in geting the chilren to their activities then i would allow maybe two per child. I think two would be my limit because children can be easily destracted and overwhelmed by too much of a good thing. Otherwise i say one activity per child should be sufficent.

• Since I have 5 of them, I knew that I had to set limits from the beginning. Each child is allowed to do ONE extra curricular activity a week. That could be baseball, tennis, art class etc. But they have to choose. I am only one person and can't drive all over the city all week long. Plus we only have so much money! LOL!