how can i get my 3 year little girl to stop sucking her fingers

• from the time she was born she was sucking her fingers and she just won't stop, i have taped her fingers together and told her over and over that is a no-no but nothings workings.

• Have you tried the Coin reward? Well, it's not really a reward. The key is that your child has to understand the concept of money and that she can use money to buy things she wants. Every week, I give my 3 yr son a roll of nickels ($2.00). He then tries to save enough money to get a special toy he picks out at the store. Every time I have to pick up one of his toys, he has to pay me one of his nickels (per toy). He never wants to loose any of them b/c his is saving for that special toy. I also use this to get him to do other things or quit doing certain things. All I have to say is "You are going to have to pay me a nickel if...... " So in your situation. Your daughter would pay you one of her nickels every time you saw her putting her fingers in her mouth. Also you may want to try giving her chewing gum. Some kids are just naturally oral and want something in their mouth. My son likes to chew on his shirt when he is stressed or nervous. Gum gives him an outlet for his anxiety.
  • When you find out please let me know! I have an 11 year old who still sucks her thumb. I have tried everything possible and she is stuck to that thumb.

• When you find out let me know! I have an 11 year old who still sucks her thumb. I have tried everything possible but she is stuck to that thumb.

• The American Academy of Pediatrics suggests using rewards charts, keeping hands busy when bored, and gentle reminders. If you are noticing changes in the roof of her mouth or the way her teeth line up as a result of thumb sucking, you can talk to a pediatric dentist. There are devices that they can use that make it uncomfortable for the child to suck his/her thumb.

Most kids will stop sucking their thumbs once school starts due to peer pressure. She may stop when she goes to preschool and such. I hope it works out for you!

• If you have access to an OT, they can offer some really great and unique ideas for dealing with this. Children who bite things, suck on fingers, etc... are usually seeking oral input. This mild sensory issue is not a problem once you learn what they are looking for. Giving a child "appropriate" things to chew or suck on may help fill this "oral need". Try offering fresh juice popsicles, sugar free suckers, or chewy/crunchy foods to give them lots of oral input. You can also see if your pediatric dentist will let them use an electric toothbrush which will also give them lots of oral input. You might find that by letting your child fill their oral need in other more appropriate ways, that she stops sucking her fingers all together. First and foremost though,  before doing anything, talk with an OT in your area or see if your pediatrician has a great "sensory" clinic she recommends. Hope this helps.