What do you do when your child hits mommy?

• What do you do when you have tried everything to get your child to stop hitting mommy and being agressive and mean?

• I hold his hands and say "Hands are not for hitting. We do not hit mommy" and then talk to him about what is going on. If he is old enough for "time out" then I put him in time out and let him know that he is in there because he hit mommy. Whatever form of discipline you choose, make sure you are consistent every time....that is the only way it will truly work.

• Need more information... how old is your child?

• Yes, how old is your child? That would determine what types of discipline you could effectively use. Let us know!
  • Hitting can be a way for them to tell you when they're angry or don't like something. IF your child is about two or three, it seems this just a phase most kids go through ( some excessively), but you still need to teach them it's not ok. Try to catch their hands when they go to hit you then pull their arms around themselves (like they're giving themselves a hug) and hold them there for a minute til they calm down and when they do, tell them it's not ok to hit, and ask if they would like it very much if you hit them. Usually they stop after that. At least, it works with my two year old most of the time.

• I would be careful not to allow that behavior to draw too much attention from you. It seems that sometimes children can act out in that way in an effort to get our attention. Since they are so quick to learn what works, I wouldn't want him to think aggression is the best way to get mommy to focus on him. I think that positive reinforcement at times when he is behaving well could be helpful, as could re-directing him to other activities when you see he is starting to become a little too aggressive. I also like MommyRN4's suggestion to use a simple statement like "hands are not for hurting" and then allow some cooling off in time out.

• My child is 3.

• My child is 3.  Awaiting your answer

• If he is three, I think he is old enough for time outs. I would take his hands after he hits you and do like MommyRN4 says - tell him that hands are not for hitting and explain that it hurts you and makes you sad when he hits you. Take him to a spot like a little rug on the floor or something where he can't play with his toys and sit him there for a time out. If he gets up, put him back until his time out is up. My sister does this with my nephew and she does one minute for each year old he is. Example: Your three year old would get a three minute time out. She keeps putting my nephew back and starting the time over when he tries to get out of time out. He will stop whatever behavior he is doing pretty quickly because he hates having to sit on his time out spot. Hope this helps - just thought I'd share her experience with you!
  • My daughter is 15 months and she is very aggressive. She hits, bites, and pinches when she doesnt get her way or if you do something she doesnt like or just to get your attention. Its getting worse and worse. I dont know what to do to get her to stop. Everything I've tried she thinks it is funny and doesnt take me seriously. If anybody has any suggestions or advice please let me know.

• Luckylilshorty14, sorry to hear about your frustration! I know what you mean - when she is little it might be kind of cute but it doesn't become so cute when she is older! My little boy is 14 months and he started hitting me and pushing my face around if I was telling him he could not do something. What I started to do was remove him from the thing he wasn't supposed to be doing but then tell him "It hurts Mommy when you hit - that is not okay" and I would put him down and walk away. Basically, don't give him the attention he wants. He stopped doing once he realized I would leave him alone. Hope things improve for you!