Watching TV

• My sister-in-law has decided to have a television-free home because she says it’s better for kids. I actually enjoy watching television myself and my kids like a little TV time late in the afternoon when they’re getting tired and I’m preparing dinner. Do you allow your kids to watch TV or is it really better to go TV-free?

• While I would love to go TV free, my kids really have learned a lot when they watch educational programs. They've learned about dinosaurs, outer space, the ocean etc... I try to limit the TV they watch that is "purely entertainment" or that has tons of commercials. Whatever works best for your family...although the Academy of Pediatrics does recommend no TV for children under 2.

• I limit my child's time in front of the TV. I know that you truly are not supposed to put television in front of anyone under the age of 2, like MommyRN4 said. That being said, there are multiple days that go by where my 16 month old does not watch any TV. However, I occasionally turn on some public television educational programming. He really does enjoy it and I enjoy talking with him about what he is watching.

• My boys are a little older and their time in front of TV is certainly limited. They enjoy watching educational programs and they enjoying a movie with hubby and I on occasion. I was reading that the AAP recommends that kids over 2 be limited to no more than 2 hours of screen time each day. I just wonder if even those 2 hours are not such a great thing.

• We have done both- tv and no tv. At times we've gone a couple of years at a time with no tv.

Honestly, I do think we are more productive, and we get to bed at a more reasonable hour without tv. But at the same time, my  kids do get involved in other activities even when the tv is on. Like right now, for instance. The tv is on Nickelodeon,  and of the 4 kids who are home right now... no one is watching. They are all doing other activities... in the same room... but no one is watching. lol

I find that I like having just a dvd player and tv setup the best. No actual commercial tv, satellite, or cable programs being piped in... just whatever we put on the dvd. I  like having the educational shows and I even have been known to let my kids watch them under the age of 2. Personally, I don't see any harm. It's not like I park them in front of the tv for hours on end. 

If you choose to have tv, just set limits that work for you and your family.  

• MY DAUGHTER AT AGE 6 WOULD WATCH FROM DAYLIGHT TO DARK IF MY HUSBAND AND I ALLOWED IT, BUT SHE GOES TO SCHOOL, PLAYS OUTSIDE WITH HER FRIENDS, AND DOES HOMEWORK, CHORES, AND HAS DINNER, ECT . SO SHE REALLY IS TOO OCCUPIED WITH OTHER THINGS TO WATCH.  WHEN SHE DOES SLOW DOWN LONG ENOUGH TO WATCH SHE IS ASLEEP WITHIN 15-20 MINS. SO ITS REALLY NOT A BIG DEAL IN OUR HOUSE.