Moving

• This summer, we are expecting to move from the only home in which my kids have lived. We are anticipating our oldest to have a hard time with this transition, which will also involve her changing elementary school prior to first grade. I realize that some families move quite frequently, so I expect them to adjust, but we are struggling when and how to let the kids know. Does anyone have any advice? -- Chris, StrongMoms Facilitator

• I know my mom moved while I was in 1st grade and it was a little difficult but that was bc the kids were mean. It turned out well. I'd say tell them as soon as possible, that way they can get use to the idea, and hopefully look forward to it. Focus on the positives, like new friends, bigger rooms, more backyard/front yard, parks, etc. Just make it sound great so they have less to loose and more to gain.

I would say if you tell them like a month before you move that they'll feel like they don't have a choice and it's so sudden they won't have time to thing about it.

• I think that change is hard for everyone, and it's important to recognize that it's not just "hard" changes that are hard, but that GOOD changes are hard as well.  I think it's important to honor that this can be hard..so calling a spade a spade... "gosh this is a good and fun change, but it doesn't mean there aren't hard things about it".  I also think that perhaps some sort of closure once you are ready to move might be good.  I think back to those episodes of the "Cosby Show" where they were having gold fish funerals.  Perhaps a "saying goodbye, and saying hello" Ceremony would be good-one to say goodbye to the old house, and one to say hello to the new.

-Jess

• Great advice... we are going to tell them next week. Wish us luck!

• Best of luck, keep us posted (: Hope its an easy transition!

• AnswerDad-Wanted to check in and see how things are going.... Been thinking about you and wondering what is going well and what is rough.  I think your experience can be something we can all learn from as we face transitions in life!

-Jess