Help! How do you keep the house clean with kids?

• Keeping the house clean is a daily battle with 4 children under the age of 6. While they are beginning to help me in some ways, I do the lion's share of the house work. Over the years I have developed some time saving cleanup tips. One of the best ways to tidy up fast is to carry a wicker basket around the house and put everything that is out of place in the basket. In about 15 minutes flat, my whole house looks tidy! When I have a few extra minutes, later that night or the next day, I then unpack the basket and put each item where it belongs. What house cleaning tips do you have? How do you keep your house organized and straight without spending hours each day cleaning?

• That is a good question? How do you do it? I have a 9 yr old a husband taking an online college course and an in law with health problems. It's hard to keep up with everyone and being pregnant and tired all of the time. Please give me some tips, so I won't lose my mind or my temper.

• This is very difficult. Whenever I try to get one thing done the kids are in the next room making another mess for me to clean up or they are fighting over toys or something and I have to stop what I'm doing so that I can referee. It seems the only time that I can accomplish any cleaning is after the kids are in bed. But, my 5yr old and 20mth old are responsible for picking up there toys every day. I will do laundry, sweep and do the dishes, but, I won't pick up the toys. There has been occation when my son refused to pick up. So, I said that I will pick up the toys into a garbage bag and he will lose them for some time. The toys got put into the basement until he could take care of his things.

• I have come to the conclusion that maybe we just need fewer things. The toys get strewn around the house for no real reason. They don't "really" play with them...just drag them around. I am going to start putting them up in the basement as well. Maybe then we can keep the house clean for longer than a day!!!

• hello, it was hard for me in the biggening . my husband works about 50-60hrs a week and my in-law can be useless sometimes. i have a 7yr old son and a 2mo. daughter. they way i did it is that i did things little by little taking my time because lil baby girl is a handful, i also have my son help me out with his sister and the chores and when daddies home i nicely ask him to help out with the chemical cleaning like mopping and the windows. my son and i take an hour nap through out the day with the baby to recharge our batteries. but if the day just seems like too much then its ok to skip some chores to have an easier less hectic day.
  • Thanks for all of your suggestions... I guess it is an ongoing battle we all face!!!!

• I have a three month old and a four year old.  At first I didn't know how to juggle it.  My mom told me that it is really important to try and get the baby on a schedule if I could.  So as I have gotten him in a routine I have created one of my own.  I have certain things that I get done each day.  Monday I try to get the laundry knocked out.  Tuesday is the bathroom and our bedroom and so forth.  I also try to make picking up part of the game with our four year old.  Once he cleans up his lunch plate he gets a piece of candy or we  put one game away before we get out another.  Just a couple ideas but it really is a daily struggle. lol

• I usually write a list for each day to do. Some things may not get done,, but I try to put only a few things on the list. Also I try to do one room a day, while keeping the main areas clean. It helps if the kids can have a playroom, and only able to keep their toys in their playroom. Maybe downgrading is needed. Get rid of unused toys, outgrown clothes, things you don't use around the house. And by all means, get the kids to help as much as possible!

• I'm with you - I think we need fewer things. My little boy drags around little pieces of toys or stuffed animals and doesn't really play with them. I just moved and tried to really eliminate unnecessary toys/etc and it has really helped. I will def. be using that wicker basket trick! Good advice. A simple thing I have come to realize is that half the battle is just being consistent about cleaning. If I put off picking up or cleaning, by the end of the night, I want to cry looking at the house. When I get up in the morning, I try to clean up the kitchen after breakfast while my son is still in his high chair. I try to pick up the living room/toy area while he is down for a nap. I try to sweep through the bedrooms before bed and tidy up. Little bit here and there seems to help instead of tackling it after I've lost control. :-p
  • I think it helps to teach the kids to pick up their toys just to keep the clutter to a minimum. I figure that if they have so many toys they can't keep them put away, then they need to be thrown out/given away. If I have to pick up toys, they get taken to charity. I also like to have a list of major things I'd like to have done for the week and I try to at least get one of those things done each day. Something else is that I have really changed my outlook on what it means to have a clean house and what things are really important to get done.

• Lists work wonders. Maybe with the little ones that can't read yet, draw pictures on a chore chart so that they can help out some. At the end of the week, if they've done all their chores, take them out or ice cream, or to get  new toy. Let them help out as much as possible.