my first baby due on 24 dec

• Hello everyone, I am due on december 24 and this is my first pregnancy. I am very anxious about the delivery, some people say vaginal is better and some say C- section is better, I am totally confused. these days I am also trying to sit back and study for my test, can any body advise me if it is good or not to sit for long hours in this condition.

• Welcome to Strong Moms! When you are pregnant, it is a good idea to rest if your body needs the rest, but you should avoid sitting for long periods of time. Sitting for a long time can increase your risk of developing clots and can also cause your ankles and feet to swell. While you are studying, just remember to get up and walk around once in a while and do some light exercising to keep yourself in good shape. Good luck and let us know how you are doing!

• A holiday baby - talk about a great gift from Santa! Congratulations first of all. Secondly, the choice between natural and c-section, I feel that really comes down to your own comfort level as well as your health condition and your doctor's assessment so far of your pregnancy. Every one's different and everyone choose one or the other for various reasons (there's no right or wrong method). I did a vaginal delivery because I didn't have any serious reason (i.e. medical condition, breach of position, etc) not to.

However, I have had girlfriends who started with vaginal and ended up with c-section simply because for the safety of the baby (i.e. umbilical cord got stuck, fluid levels dropping massively etc). Others chose c-section because of cultural/superstition beliefs and others chose vaginal because that's how it's been done for centuries. So again, no right or wrong method. Just comes down to you and what you ultimately want - assuming everything else is great.

As for sitting long hours - many doctors actually recommend it, especially as you near your due date so long as you elevate your feet and prop yourself comfortably with pillows etc for your back. I sat quite a bit near the last 2 weeks of my pregnancy because I was more tired and my feet hurt . I inquired with my doctor at the time about it since I wasn't sure if it was a good or bad thing too. She told me it's a great thing so long as you elevate the feet and ensure you're prop up correctly but certainly ask your doctor as everyone's bodies and conditions differ.

• Mummy24 - congrats on a Christmas baby. :-) I'm so happy for you. I'd encourage you to go to a birthing class at the hospital where you will deliver. They can explain all the procedures for vaginal and cesarean births and help you to feel informed. Talking with your OB-GYN is also a good thing to do so that you know how they will approach your birth. A lot of women I know like to do prenatal yoga and other forms exercise to help deal with anxiety. You will do great no matter how you deliver - do you know if you are having a boy or girl yet? :-) 

• Congrats and welcome to the site! The previous posts seemed right on the money to me. Most Docs will try to have the baby delivered vaginally and may not even give you a choice (can't help but think insurance companies have an impact here!). Either way, discuss with your Doc and know his/her approach. Good luck!

• Thanks for your suggestions Smile . Yes I Know, I am having a boy.

• Hello congrats for ur pregnancy. Im due on sept 25 and everyone here says that vaginal is much better than C-section. Ud be fine in 2 days after vaginal delivery but ud need more than 2 weeks after C-section. Im worried just like you and even more, i try to calm my self by saying that im not the first one whos gonna deliver and all moms do it and they are fine. All what u have to do is to pray that you deliver quickly... May GOD hepls us 

• I don't know about the being fine after 2 days with a vaginal delivery. I guess fine is a relative word though. I could walk with help once my epidural wore off and about 12 hours after my daughters birth i could walk, bend, and lift my daughter on my own... Just because i could walk around doesn't mean that it didn't hurt like heck to do so though. While i was in the hospital i lived on the numbing spray they give you and ice packs made out of newborn diapers (Those things are AMAZING) and occasionally i'd take a pain reliever to help me move with ease. It took about a week before i could sit or stand or get in or out of bed without pain and about 2 weeks before i was healed enough to walk around like normal. and close to 2 months before my muscles stopped aching.