Gestational Diabetes

• Well ladies,

This is not my first rodeo, but I was told that I may have gestational diabetes. Was wondering if any other women on here have experianced this and what did you have to do? Take a pill, insulin shot, just watch diet? My doctor stated something about me possibly having to take a pill? Is this bad? Thank you for responding

-Julie-

• Hi Julie

I had GDM with my son, hes now 4 wks old and so far no signs that the DM is still a problem. I was diet controlled It was hard work sticking to a strict diet but I wanted to make sure that I didnt have to start medication or insulin. If your A1c (gives you a range of how your sugars have been running over past 3 months, should be below 7)  is not too high a strict diet should control your glucose readings. I had to check my sugars 4x per day and I made sure that I tried to exercise a few times a  week even if it was just a brisk walk. The diet was a lot of work it takes time trying to figure out what you can and cant eat after a while it gets eaiser. I ate 3 meals a day and 2 snacks. My OB sent me to diabetes teaching classes which helped me understand how my body was breaking down food. It was important to me to try to control my numbers with diet alone and I was sucessful. It gets old fast but stick with it it will all be worth it in the end. You are pretty much eating every 2-3 hrs if your not eating then your checking your sugars. If you work this gets to be a bit much on top of being pregnant.

Good luck Let me know if you have anymore questions:)

Lisa

• Hey! 

Gestational diabetes can often be controlled by diet. Staying away from simple carbohydrates like white rice, white bread, crackers, etc. and any sugary things like soda and candy can help to control your blood sugar. If you can't be controlled by diet changes, then sometimes you end up having to take a pill that helps to lower your blood sugar by boosting your insulin levels in your body. The best thing you can do is to keep your blood sugar steady, however you are able to, so that your baby will grow with optimum conditions in the womb. A lot of women find it a bit challenging at first to give up sugar but get used to it eventually. Hope this answers some questions! 

• It sounds like you have a pretty positive attitude about the possibility of having gest. diabetes.  You will really have to talk to your doctor in more detail to find out what the treatment is going to be.  One thing is that for most women eating a bit more helathy and avoiding those simple sugars is good for the body-diabetes or not.  It's all about moderation.  If he wants you to work on your diet you might ask him about dietary changes and if you can see a nutritionist.  That might really help with ideas and assuring you are getting all the nutients that you need.

Keep us posted and good luck!

)ess

• I don't have gestational diabetes, but had type 2 before I got pregnant. I'm 25 weeks and need to take insulin. Before the pregnancy, I was controlling it with diet and exercise...no medicine. With the help of a dietician who is also a diabetes educator, I stay on track with my food...although I do indulge in my cravings sometimes. I'm hoping to be off the insulin after the baby because I really don't like giving myself shots, but I'll do whatever to make both of us are healthy.

• How are you doing with your diabetes? Just wanted to check in to see if things were under control. When are you due?