Sleeping at Night—How Do You Manage?

• Pregnancy is not a fun time to try and get some sleep! When I was pregnant with my 5th child, I woke up several times a night for various reasons including bathroom breaks, anxiety, and even being too hot! Is there a better way to get some sleep while you are pregnant? – Bonnie, StrongMoms Facilitator

• I wonder the same thing because I be up all times of night just because, bathroom breaks, eating, just hot, I just cant seem to stay sleep all night like I used to. I hope we both find an answer, I am pregnant with my first and they are twins.

• I have no answers here but I just wanted to thank you both as well as all the mothers out there for putting yourselves through such discomfort to give us Dads the greatest gift we will ever know.

• I am a true insomniac 365 days of the year, lol.  So I'm not sure if these things will help or not- but they help me.  I know sometimes I just dread nighttime, as I dread not sleeping while the rest of the house is resting so peacefully.  Ok here are my tricks:

-I lay down and if I can't fall asleep in 20 minutes or so I get up and do some sort of quiet task.  Laying in bed not sleeping seems to make it 100x worse.  So getting up and writing an e-mail, checking the webboard, reading a bit and then I lay back down and try to go to sleep.

-Avoid large meals before bed, but have a light snack so I'm not hungry.  Warm milk, herbal tea and/or hot cocoa sometimes help.

-WARM BLANKETS!  Now I'm writing from Seattle, so this might not work well if you are in Florida, but I have a heated throw and curling up in the warmth helps me fall asleep.

-Taking advantage of when I CAN sleep.  This means that a nights sleep might be a nap and then sleeping 4 hours at night.  I add it up and count my blessings that I slept that much.

-Make bed comfortable!  So-yes I own memory foam and it's the best stuff ever!  Good pillows, favorite blanket (as above).

That's all I can think of right now, 

Sweet Dreams!

Jess

• Actually, the warm thing helped! I put warm blanket on my legs only and I fell asleep and stayed asleep longer. I wonder why that is?

• Oh so glad that helped!  It's the magic of a warm blanket. :)

Sweet Dreams!

Jess

• get a body pillow!! :) it is the only thing that has helped me. i lay on my left side, (its sopposed to help with blood flow) and kinda "hug" the pillow. it also helps me bacuse i put my leg up on the pillow, it helps with my back pain because everything is aligned. i hope this helps!