People Say Irritating Things When You Are Pregnant

• When I was pregnant, strangers seem to say the most annoying and irritating remarks—like "Wow, was this baby planned?" "Do they all have the same father?" "Wow 5 kids….you do know how this happens right?" I tried my best to not let them get to me, but sometimes it was difficult. How did you handle annoying comments and remarks on your pregnancy? -- Bonnie, StrongMoms Facilitator

• I always laughed them off, becasue i knew that the person who was so bold as to say the irritating comment is obviously inconsiderate and most of all CRAZY!!! I remember when i was about 7 months pregnant it was around christmas time. This old lady comes through my checkout line looks at my belly then looks me in the eye and says "Santa sent me in to see if you've been naughty or nice... And by the looks of it, you've been naughty." HAHAHAHAH Crazy old BAT!

• Oh my goodness - great question. I had multiple people tell me with my second, "You are done, right?? This is it, right??" and when I'd say we may have a third baby, they'd act like I was crazy! So funny how the definition of a large family has changed. :-p I just tried to let it roll off my shoulders and decided that people generally mean well and just say dumb things. :-p If they were vicious on purpose, that's another story! 

• Those people who says irritating things are crazy people and others are INSECURE.

• Those people are Crazy and Insecure that why they are trying to say some irritating things

• While I laugh them off too, sometime it can be irritating. We wanted a big family and are happy with our 5 children--not crazy!

• In the beginning, I had numerous people ask me "was it planned?" I think that's totally rude to ask, and really none of their business. Even if it's a friend/acquaintance, I just think that's not important. Either way, it should be a happy thing...Mine was planned, so it's not like I was hurt or offended, just couldn't imagine me asking someone that!

• The best thing you can do is to ignore it. It's none of their business. You could even politely tell them to stop because it is bothering you. I never got many comments from people when I was pregnant. All that was ever said was, "Are you sure your pregnant?" because I didn't show noticeably until I was 6 months along. It didn't bug me too much though.

• I'm 39 weeks as of today! I get so annoyed with people asking how far along I am and when I respond they say "Your so tiny...There's no way your that far along." It really bothers me...I'm thinking to myself first off I feel like i'm huge you obviously didn't notice my size before I was pregnant, secondly I go to the doctor regularly and he seems to think i'm right on track and the baby is perfect size and lastly I just feel like telling them "just because you gain a lot of weight during pregnancy doesn't mean everybody has too"! But I just push those hormones aside, smile and say "Thanks I feel fantastic"! :-) 

• Good for you Jessica!  I find that people often say things that reflect how they are feeling about themselves.  For example I find that those that comment a lot about weight have weight issues of some kind themselves.  Having this perspective helps me some.

-Jess

• Yes I agree! Funny thing is that you hear how small you are and I just heard how huge I was the whole time and "is there just one in there!" I don't think ANYONE hears "WOW...you are just perfect!". LOL!

• I have a girl in my office who is, no joke, close to 400 lbs. I have always been very healthy and active and I am proud to continue the course I am on. I have gained 25 lbs at 32 weeks and oddly enough I can still fit into my "big" jeans (baby sits high) and it is definitely mostly belly. This coworker, however, feels the need to comment daily, mostly saying the same thing "Wow! Did you swallow a turkey?" and "Look at you finally getting some junk in the trunk". I sometimes hear from her the typical "Are you sure it's just one?" as well. It really irritates me because I wonder where she comes up with the nerve to say such things to me. I wonder sometimes what would happen if I ever said the same things to her... :D

• Oh i can imagine that would feel hurtful to hear those things.. luckily i never had those sorts of comments uttered, only that i was getting bigger by the day. But kudos to you for being the "Bigger" person and ignoring the rude comments. An attitude like that will allow you to teach your baby how to be wonderful human being.

• Oh wow that sound really irritating!

• People really do say annoying things when you are pregnant! For me, I had three girls and everyone assumed I was DYING for a boy. I never cared what gender they were, and we had a son. I am thrilled to have a son, just as I would have been thrilled to have another wonder girl.