Carpal tunnel syndrome and pregnancy

• It is rather common for many women to develop carpal tunnel syndrome during their pregnancy. Did you have to deal with this uncomfortable and disabling pregnancy symptom? How did you get through it? -- Bonnie, StrongMoms Facilitator

• I didn't have carpal tunnel with my daughter and thankfully don't have it with this one, but I have round ligament pain with this pregnancy. Those stretching pains in your lower back, groin region, and easily leads to sciatica. Right now dealing with it by completing stretching excercises and heat/ice therapy as recommended by my physical therapist.

But if I develop carpal tunnel probably be assigned a wrist brace.

• I haven't had carpal tunnel with pregnancy, personally, but I've worked with a lot of moms who actually have trouble after delivery with breast feeding, etc. because their hands/wrists are in a lot of pain. I encourage using lots of pillows to prop baby up into a good position for feeding, rather than holding all the weight in mom's hands/arms. Sometimes that can help relieve some of the irritation - it doesn't look like a fun thing to deal with at all! 

• No it is no fun, but fortunately, when the baby is born, most of the carpal tunnel goes away. Sometimes, however, holding the car seat, holding the baby, and breastfeeding can aggravate it. 

• Luckily, I didn't have it in my first pregnancy or in this one.