how to tell my boss im pregnant

• I recently found out that i was pregnant and telling my boss that i was pregnant and relocating with my husband seemed like a relief. Before i told my boss she told me that she stepped down as store manager and thought that our DM would automatically make me manager because i was already the asst. Mgr. That didnt happen but now they want to train me and fly me out to corporate for more training. I really wanted and deserved this promotion, but now how do i tell them that im pregnant and oh by the way i will be resigning in a few months anyway so i can relocate to be with my husband. I still need my job and im scared of what will happen when i tell them. Any ideas
  • Congrats on your pregnancy first of all... and secondly what do you think your company is going to do just because you're pregnant? I think it's illegal for them to fire you because of a pregnancy and if you're quitting in a few months anyway then it's better they know now before they waste a lot of time and money training you; and they can get an early start on looking for a different candidate to take your position. If you're a good employee and in good standing with your company like it sounds then i'm sure they will be thrilled for your news, but disappointed they will be losing a good employee. not to mention if you plan to find a job in your new location before or after your baby is born then i'm sure it will be much easier getting a good recommendation from your current employer if you don't waste their time and money on unnecessary training. So my advice to you is just be honest with your employer. Have a meeting with whoever it is you need to speak to and let them know that you will be relocating in a few months. Everything will be ok.

• Kam-

Yep, I'd agree with Brinny, be honest and present it in a positive manner.  They cannot fire you bc you are pregnant.  Let us know how things go.

-Jess

• I almost wouldn't even worry about the pregnancy aspect of things...your relocation is going to move you out of the job no matter what. Just handle the matter like you would for resigning for a move versus a pregnancy issue. I would think they'd need to keep you on until you move in order to train someone new and have a smooth transition. Hope it all goes okay! 

• Well, you could wait until training it over, but it depends on how far along you are. If it's passed your first trimester then you should probably let them know asap. They legally can't discriminate against you because you are pregnant.

• Kam-

It's been a few days since you posted and so I wanted to check and see if you told your boss or what you are thinking. Is there anyway that we can support you through this?  Please just holler if we can!

-Jess