Heartburn and Pregnancy! UGH!

• Heartburn is one of the worst pregnancy symptoms---especially when it gets really bad. With my last pregnancy, it woke me up 2-3 times a night and prevented me from drinking and eating like I should. I took medication that my doctor recommended, but it was still problematic. How did you cope with heartburn? -- Bonnie, StrongMoms Facilitator

• with my son i didnt have any heartburn just morning sickness all the way up till 6 months and i am 10 weeks with my second and in the beginning bad morningsickness and now i have bad heartburn i tried taking meds the doctor recomended and nothung hekps except sleeping lol and laying down after i eat. i hope it passes like the mornung sickness

• I lived on tums (i seemed to have a bottle for every room of the house, my purse, and locker at work), milk, and slept sitting up lol.

• I HATE heartburn!  Here are my tricks:

-Don't eat within 2 hours of bedtime, and if you do

-Sleep sitting up.  Even though it sounds like pillow propping would be best this bends your tummy and makes reflux worse.  The best thing to do is raise the head of the bed on blocks about 8-12 inches.

-Small frequent meals are best.

-Avoid those goodies like: peppermint, chocolate, spicy foods, caffeine, carbonated beverages, fatty meals.

-If severe do more liquid meals and less of things that are hard to break down or digest.

Sounds like a terrible routine, but for me so not worth having reflux!

-Jess

• I had some heartburn in my last pregnancy, but I have it a lot more in this one and it's a lot worse. I get it daily, usually several times a day and it will keep me from being able to fall asleep. It doesn't matter what I eat (unless it is milk or water) it will give me heart burn. I eat small things throughout the day and it helps it a little bit, but not always and not a lot. I also get it if I don't eat for a few hours. Tums helps, but it only lasts for about 2 hours. I just take Tums and spread out my food and eat small amounts to do the best I can to deal with it.

• My wife had bouts of terrible heartburn. With our son, the idea that a pregnancy with bad heartburn yields a baby with a thick head of hair was absolutely true.

• Miss Pammie, that sounds miserable!  I'm so sorry.  Might be worth a trip to the doc if it's interfering with sleep or otherwise.  Hang in there! -Jess

• Tried the tums for mine cus boy has it been getting bad the heartburn I get pressure up in my shoulders. When I go for my 12 weeks defiantly going to c what else I can take

• My doctor gave me some medicine to help and that lasted 12 hours instead of popping TUMS all day long. I was prone to kidney stones so she didn't want me eating too many TUMS> 

• Jess_babyrn- Yeah I think I will mention it at my appointment on Monday just to see if there is anything else I can do for it.

• Did your doctor give you something or let you take something for your heartburn? It is not fun I know!