child birth classes

• I am about to be 36 weeks (this is my first) and I have not taken a child birth class. I have read two books, Ina May's Guide To Childbirth and The Thinking Women's Guide to a Better Birth by Henci Goer. I feel as though both books have prepared me enough for what to expect during labor and delivery. I love Ina May's breathing technique and plan to use it!! I do not plan on getting an epidural, but if at the time I believe it is truly necessary, I will not turn it down.

I just wanted some feed back from other women and men on whether or not they took the classes and how it went for them.

If you did not take a class, after experiencing your labor and delivery do you think you should have taken one?

If you did take a class, did it play a significant role in your labor and delivery? How do you think you would have done without the class?

• I took the classes and they were nice and informative..but I think they were better for my husband. It really gave him a good idea of what to expect and what I would be going through. If you haven't taken them though, I wouldn't stress out. It sounds like you are very prepared and educated about what is ahead! Good luck and let us know how it goes!

• I just had my first child and I loved my birthing class. I took mine at the hospital where I was going to give birth.  It was very informative and gave my husband and I peace of mind. We were able to tour one of the rooms and told about the security measures the hospital takes to protect newborns. My husband was much more comfortable with the entire process also afterwards. Plus, I received a ton of free stuff!

• I did not take any classes, but i had prepared with watching birth videos  and i have always been facinated with fetal development so i pretty much knew what to expect. I went in knowing the stages of labor, i went in having faith in my doctor and the medical team that would be delivering my baby, and most importantly i went in knowing that it was going to hurt. I am mentally very strong so i knew that i was going to be just fine as long as i listened to the medical team. I do not have any regrets about not having gone to birthing classes, and it sounds like you are pretty prepared as well so i imagine you would be fine without them. MommyRN is right though. If you have not prepared your husband then i would suggest you at the very least tell him what to expect. Especially if he plans to watch the birth.

• I have to say that I got more out of a few books that I read than I did from my class. The class was more helpful for my husband but I felt that I understood the basics of labor. I was looking for help with the hidden nuances and little things that they don't seem to cover in the classes. If you feel like you need help with the basics, a class is really helpful. If you have read those two books, I imagine that you'd be pretty well prepared!! 

• thank you all for your input!! My husband actually worked in the birthing department at a hospital as a nurses assistant for about 4 years so he is completely aware of what is going to happen, I feel prepared and calm about it after reading the two books. I just wasn't sure how much a class was really going to do for me.

• How awesome to have a husband who is so up to speed on the labor process! I think you will do just great - sounds like you are well read and prepared to just do your thing. It's amazing how your body really takes over the process! 

• With my first child I took child birth classes. It was nice to talk with other moms and I found it very useful. You can always take a quick online class if you want extra info. It's probably too late for an in person class. They tend to fill up quickly. I had to sign up for mine in the beginning of my second trimester. I took it at about 36 weeks though. I think I wouldn't have done as well if I didn't take the class, but I read info on it, so I don't think I would have done terribly.

• Gcedano - your due date is getting pretty close!! I'd love to hear how your labor and delivery goes - can't wait to hear the story!

• Gcedano-

Keep us posted! :)

-Jess

• just an update !! My due date is 8 days away and I am 2 centimeters dilated, hopefully she is on time!!

• good luck gcedano!!! I hope your baby comes easily. I was 2 cm and 70% effaced at 36 weeks and stayed that way pretty much until i went in for my induction. Hopefully you will progress faster.

• 8 days! So soon! I can't wait to hear all about it! Best of luck to you. :-) 

• Gcedano-

Wow so soon!  Do you have a name picked out?  Are you feeling ready?  Please do keep us posted,

Jess