Pregnancy and Exercise—Keeping your Fitness Up!

• Exercising while you are pregnant can seem like a daunting task. What are the best pregnancy exercises to do? Do you do prenatal yoga or water exercise classes or do you walk? Share your pregnancy-exercise success stories.  -- Bonnie, Strongmoms Facilitator

• I didn't do a single pregnancy exercise.. I worked on my feet running around a store all day and lived on the second floor of an apartment complex. So most of my exercise came from walking up and down flights of stairs countless times taking dogs out for walks. My doctors office was also on the second floor of their medical building and i opted for the stairs there as well.. well until i hit my last week then i took the elevator. I also parked further away from the entrances of shopping centers and so on.

• I did yoga for the first few months and later had a wonderful pre-natal swimming workout class. I also live in a fourth floor walk-up, so that helped too. I look forward to my post-natal swimming classes :)

• I mostly went for walks. I needed something quick and easy - especially with my second baby. I had my first boy with me and putting him a stroller was the easiest thing to do to keep him occupied while I worked out. I also went to our local pool a few times but not enough to call it a routine. :-p I really did enjoy swimming while pregnant though - so freeing! 

• With my first son, I did a prenatal cardio class (old school step/aerobic class) Mondays, Body Pump classes ( I just used lighter weights) Tues and Thursdays, spinning classes Wednesdays, eliptical machine on Fridays and, aqua zumba and aqua aerobics on Saturdays (I was the only one under 70 years old so it didn't last long!).  I tried prenatal yoga 2-3 times but found it very boring and not effective.  Despite the fact that I was at the gym at least 5 times a week up until 4 days before I had my son (who was 1 1/2 weeks late) I still gained an obscene amount of weight.  I can only imagine what I would have gained had I not been working out!

This time, I am currently only 16 weeks along.  I do the workout videos "T25" 5 days a week.  I go to Zumba once a week.  It definitely helps me feel better!  I highly recommend the T25 videos as they are an intense workout but they are only 25 minutes long! 

• Wow! You are awesome with your workouts!! I love all the variety. I get bored pretty easily so variety helps me keep going with working out. I'll have to look up T25 - never heard of it. I'm all for shorter workouts that pack a punch. Who has time for long workouts with little ones underfoot? Thanks for the recommendations!