Epidural Anxiety

• I was reading the posts about c-section anxieties.  I am 24 wks pregnant with my 2nd child.  I delivered my daughter completely natural, with no epidural.  I just had a doctor's appointment today, and my doctor doesn't think it is wise that I do not want an epidural again.  He said I did really well with the birth of my daughter, but trying to have two uncomplicated, completely natural deliveries is unrealistic.  I have panic attacks over getting an IV.  I just wish he would listen to me, instead of pressuring me to have an epidural.

• It is your right not to have an epidural, if that is what you want. Your OB should accept and encourage your decision to aim for a natural birth. Just because you had a natural birth with your first child, doesn't mean it can't or won't happen again. You will need an IV once you are admitted to the hospital for fluids and other necessary medications, but pain medicine via an epidural is solely your choice. Do not feel pressured to get an epidural if you don't feel that it is necessary. An epidural is not a requirement to give birth! Try not to be anxious about your labor. You still have time to make a decision about your labor plans. Just take one day at a time and enjoy your pregnancy!
  • Most women who are advised to get an epidural have a reason for it. If both you and the baby are healthy and completely safe, then maybe a second natural birth is a possibility, but you also need to listen to your doctor as well. Maybe a second opinion is in order if you don't feel comfortable with the decisions your doctor is pressuring you towards. The best advice I could give you is to talk to your doctor about exactly why he feels an epidural is necessary and go from there.

*~*What are little girls made of? Sugar and Spice and everything nice!*~*

• I completely agree with PediNurse. It is absolutely your right to have your baby without an epidural. For thousands of years, women have been giving birth naturally without epidurals. It is not unrealistic for you to be able to have several uncomplicated deliveries without an epidural. Absolutely let your doctor know of your wishes and if your OB doesn't support you, it may be time to find a new doctor. You could ask to see one of his partners or you might want to wait until after you deliver this baby to shop around. Chances are...if your doctor sees how committed you are to having a natural childbirth, he may get on board a bit. Congratulations of your pregnancy and let us know how it goes!

• It's always within your right to seek a second opinion. If you don't agree with your doctor, ask for a second opinion. If the second doctor validates your current doctor's concerns, it makes sense to do what is safest for you and your baby. Either way, think about the positives rather than dwell on the IV or other issues out of your control.

• I had a c-section and it was a piece of cake, but I also had the best ob in the world who listened to what I had to say. I agree with everyone else and shop around for one who thinks like you. Childbirth is stressful enough you shouldn't have to be stressed about your doc. I had just finished discussing my plan with my doc and my main order was do what you think is best and don't ask me a hundred question while in labor. Well 2 appts later I was in the hospital with pre-eclampsia on bed rest. I delivered 10 weeks early, but was walking around on motrin with a healthy baby in the nicu. We had an awesome result because she listened to everything I told her about how I was feeling. You deserve to be cared for like this.  Good luck:)