Minimizing Stretch Marks

• When your body expands to accommodate the extra mass and space that goes with being pregnant, stretch marks are virtually guaranteed – and not always in the places you expect. Ten years after my first pregnancy, I still have stretch marks on my abdomen, arms, breasts and back. What I didn’t know then was that I could have taken better care of my skin to minimize the damage. What are some ways you’ve found to either prevent or lessen the long-term impact your pregnancy has on your skin?

• For me the biggest difference seemed to be weight gain. I had stretch marks on my chest and thighs the first time when I gained 50 lbs. With that pregnancy I used expensive Belly Balm several times a day all over my body. The second time around I used cheap cocoa butter when I remembered to and only gained 30 lbs. I didn't get any stretch marks the second time around. I think a lot of it is just genetics. Sadly, being as pale as I am the stretch marks I did get show up big time. Even though they are silverish now it still really bothers me to see them.

• Oh don't do that! I've come to ignore my stretch marks. They're there and there's nothing I can do about them. I'm also very pale and while some have turned silvery, there are some that are still pink. Either way, I look at them as a sign of motherhood.

• I've always had stretch marks and they have gotten a LOT worse during my pregnancies.  My mom swore by Palmer's Cocoa Butter so I used it twice a day everyday when I was pregnant with my daughter.  Sadly, it didn't prevent them for me.  Everything that I've read says that it's genetic and has to do with the elasticity of your skin.  I hated my stretch marks for a long time, but I've finally come to accept them.  I look at them as a symbol of my motherhood.

• Everything I've read has said that it's mostly genetic and there's not a lot you can do about them.  I was upset at first when I noticed the little ones I've got on my thighs (none on my tummy yet though) but my husband walked me through the logic of it.  Why do we have stretch marks?  Because we're gaining weight.  Why are we gaining weight?  Because we're pregnant.  Do you regret being pregnant?  Of course not!  If stretch marks are the only "battle scars" that I get from having a child then I will be absolutely thrilled!

• Aw I like that, if only that were true for us c-section victims! lol, I hated the circumstances behind my sections and hate to have another but my babies are worth it... and no squished heads from forceps or the vacuum either BUT drinking LOTS and LOTS of water til you swim basically is really the only thing that can do good.  gaining weight effects as well but drinking a ton of water keeps you and in turn your skin hydrated and allows it to stretch easier without marking AS MUCH.  It's not sure fire but I know with my third pregnancy almost wrapped up, my first 2 if you looked at me funny I got stretch marks, this one I HAVE to drink a ton because I keep getting urinary tract and kidney infections I have yet to get a single mark and I'm begger than both my first pregnancies as well.  I'm convinced this is what is helping me.

• ohhh i wish i looked at it the same way u guys do!!!! i feel really ugly w/those strech marks!! i am brown colored (Im mexican) so my strechmarks look purple.... i havent lost my belly weight.. does anyone have tips on that??Confused

• The only thing that will get rid of the belly weight is consistent exercise and healthy, low calorie diet; two things that aren't always easy to come by.

• I agree with BabyNurse3.  That belly weight has always been impossible for me to lose!  I have exercised and practiced eating right and I've lost weight, just not from the belly.  Now that I'm pregnant again I'm sure it will only be worse afterwards.  Anyway, hopefully you have better luck than I did.

• use cocoa butter sticks.. the brand is CocoaCare and they are a dollar at walmart

**Julie**