New to the scene, have important question

• Hi all, I'm pretty new to all this, I'm in my 6th month, can't wait to meet my new baby boy, but having some problems, hope some one could answer some questions, since I already went to my OBGYN Dr, and he can't help, my problem is, since I started my 6th month, maybe 2 weeks ago, so far I've had 4 sleepless nights, counting this one, i fall asleep either 11, 12 or 1am then wake either for no reason, or bec i have to go to the bathroom around 3am, and then I can't go back to sleep, until maybe 8am or 10am.  And bec of this I've had to miss work.  This never used to happen to me before I got pregnant, I've tried either having some milk, watching TV, Interner, reading a boring book, but nothing help, and its really starting to annoy me at this point, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

• My first thought is stress. A lot of the time, insomnia is a physical reaction to everything that's going on in your world. While everything may be going great, the stress of the pregnancy and all of the changes in your life does take its toll, whether consciously or not.

This actually started happening to my daughter when I was pregnant. She was 8 when I was pregnant and suddenly started wetting the bed. We took her to counseling, but it didn't stop until after her sister was born. She never felt like anything was really bothering her, though, so it was totally subconscious.

My advice would be to try and relax, do some stress relief exercises, or go see a counselor just to talk. If that doesn't work, I'd ask your doctor about herbal supplements and see if he's okay with you taking them. Melatonin and valerian root are two that work well when you're not pregnant, but I wouldn't take them without a doctor's OK when pregnant.

• I am so sorry. I couldn't sleep well at all when I was pregnant. It is very annoying, because you know you won't be able to sleep when the baby arrives. I used lots of pillows, no caffeine after lunch, massage, prenatal yoga, and the things you have already mentioned. Sometimes it worked for me. Others, I just napped during the day when I wasn't working. I hope it gets better for you soon.

• I don't have any problems getting to sleep, but I wake up pretty often. I either wake up to go to the bathroom or wake up to adjust my position.  It's so hard to get comfortable sometimes!  I wake up a lot with either back pain or pelvic pain.  The best advice I can give is to take naps whenever you can.  I feel a lot more rested even if I only get a half hour. Hope it gets better for you!

• Welcome to motherhood!!! You will never sleep again as you have in the past I swear it is hormones or something!

I would suggest going to work even if you can't sleep at night and DON'T nap. If you have to  nap set your alarm and make it short! If you are exhausted at work all day you should sleep good that night. If you stay home from work and sleep in you will screw up your schedule and it will be even harder to get back in a routine.

The weather is getting nicer now, go for a walk that will be good for you and you will sleep better!

• This is your body's way of getting you prepared for when your baby arrives!  I was the same way!  Try going to sleep a little earlier and sleep using one of those body pillows and propping it under your belly.  Seemed to help when I was pregnant.  Hope that helps! 

• I had the same problems with sleep as you about the 6th month. Try a warm bubble bath first and then when you go to bed, use a body pillow to sleep with or one of those pillows designed for pregnant women from some place like Babies R Us.