Have C-Section Scheduled

• Well after all the discussions over the possibility of a VBAC I kind of chickened out and scheduled the c-section after last weeks appointment.  I asked the doctor a ton of questions about both and even with the answers he could give me there were just too many that he couldn't.  They had suggested that I schedule the surgery the month before and now I wish I had.  Even though I scheduled it 2 months before my due date (at my 32 week appointment)  I couldn't get my first choice of doctor on the day that I wanted.  I think that my due date is off, but since I'm only measuring up to 2 weeks large they will not change the date for anything.  Because of that I wanted to schedule for June 18 which is a full week before my due date and the earliest that they would let me set the surgery for.  If I went with the doctor I originally wanted I would have to wait until June 22 and I just don't think I will still be pregnant by then anyway.

Anyway, long story short, I chose to go with a different doctor so that I can have my surgery on June 18.  If I go into labor before that point I think that we're still going to go with a c-section.  Since I've already had one section I think that my doctors would just be too quick to decide for another one if I tried to labor.  Especially since they keep saying that it just depends on the size of the baby and how long labor is lasting vs how it's progressing.  I hate the thought of laboring for ten or more hours just to wind up on the operating table.  At least this way I have a better idea of what to expect.  I know that things still may not go as planned...I could even go into labor before the 18, but it makes me feel better to have some sort of plan in place.

• I have also just found I am pregnant.  I had a c-section before and am wondering is the recovery the same or does it take longer.  My doctor really did not want to talk about c-sections vs. going into labor.  I know that I am not that far along but still wish he would have answered my questions about it.  Does anyone have any info about repeat c-sections or a good web site to go to to find out info?

• I had a repeat c-section. The recovery was the same for me, especially because I knew what to expect. This time around, I wasn't afraid to take pain meds as needed. I toughed it out a little more with the first c-section. My Doctor said there is a higher risk of a uterine ubruption, should you try natural delivery (1 in 100 chance) which is why Drs do repeat c-sections. Hope that helps!

• I would be concerned as to why your doctor does not want to talk about c-section versus labor. You need to get this cleared up as soon as possible. You need to be comfortable with your doctor on all major issues concerning your pregnancy. If you want a c-section, then tell your doctor now. If you want to try labor, you need to discuss this with your doctor to find out any risks that may be involved.

I have had two c-sections : first one was an emergency c-section, the second was due to the baby being so overdue. The recovery for the second c-section was much quicker but could have been due to not going through 20 hours of labor prior to having the surgery.

This time around my doctor informed me on the very first visit that she would highly recommend a c-section due to the damage to my cervix from the previous surgeries. I am already scheduled and I am only 14 weeks along.

Personally, I would look for another doctor if my doctor would not discuss any topic in regards to my pregnancy in which I am concerned.

Good luck

• horsinoround

I have also just found I am pregnant.  I had a c-section before and am wondering is the recovery the same or does it take longer.  My doctor really did not want to talk about c-sections vs. going into labor.  I know that I am not that far along but still wish he would have answered my questions about it.  Does anyone have any info about repeat c-sections or a good web site to go to to find out info?

Is it possible that your doctor is one that doesn't perform VBACs?  I know that there are some doctors and even hospitals that will not consider it and other times where your own personal history would make it inadvisable.  If you would really prefer to try a vaginal birth than I'd suggest speaking to your doctor about it and making them answer your questions.  That way you can find out where they stand with it and if necessary you have time to find a new doctor.

With that said, my doctor made it sound like the repeat c-section won't be that much difference from the first.  The biggest difference for me will be if I make it to the scheduled date.  With my first I went into labor early so even though we had one planned I guess that would count as an emergency c-section.  I'm hoping I can make it to my date this time...it sounds like it goes more smoothly when you have one scheduled.  Good luck to you and I hope that you can get some answers to your questions.

• I'm not sure about a site for repeat c-sections, but I love VBAC.com for info on vbac. Recovery is a little easier for a scheduled c-section because you are more prepared. You have time to rest before and it isn't rushed. You haven't pushed for hours or endured labor. Just being rested and prepared will make a difference. A downside however, is if you have one at home, you will have a harder time resting when you get back home. It is so hard not to pick up a toddler who just wants to hug mommy.

• My first baby was an emergency c-section after 33 1/2 hours of labor.  It really took me a few months to fully recover.  I was terrified to do that again and wanted a vbac.  My doctor was supportive and assured me it was MY decision, but that we would address it again when I got closer to my due date.  Well, when that time came, I was informed by my doctor that it was still up to me, but that it was looking like the baby would be around a ten pounder and i might not want to endure that!  ha ha!  I chose the scheduled c-section to prevent the total exhaustion i had experienced before.  I'm glad I did.  Recovery time is still longer than a vaginal birth, of course, but wasn't nearly as bad as the first time I did it.  I knew what was going to happen, my husband was not 2 hours away, there was a plan that kept MY MOTHER COMPLETELY AWAY FROM ME  (haha), I had a good night's sleep before hand, it was calm, went smooth, and I knew what to expect for my recovery. 

As for your doctor.  He needs to answer your questions when you have the questions.  I would seriously consider looking into a new one if he's not taking your fears and concerns seriously.  I know there are times when they're busy and behing schedule and I know at my last appointments, my doctor was definitely in rush-rush mode, but the second I said I had a few questions he stopped in his tracks and answered me.

Long story short.  If you really think you'll end up with a c-section no matter what, then just insist on doing it right away as no labor before hand really does help with recovery and your peace of mind in the end.