40 and first timer

• I'm a little concerned about my age and having a baby now.  I'm only 9 weeks and having such a hard time sleeping. I'm told that I should only sleep on my left side but find myself on my right side sometimes.  I've always eaten healthy and now I crave food that I never would eat if I wasn't pregnant. Everything I eat leaves a horrible after taste, including drinking water. I'm trying not to complain but how am I to get through these 9 months?

• Hi and congratulations! Was this a surprise pregnancy? Are you excited?

You can sleep on your right side if you want. It poses no danger to your baby at all. After 20 weeks it is advised that you do not sleep on your back. Later in pregnancy, the left side is the most desirable for optimal blood flow to the baby, but even then, the right side is okay. Right now, you can sleep any way you wish. I hope that helps some. I can't imagine trying not to ever sleep on my right side.

The first 12 weeks are the worst for eating and you are almost finished with them. Food should start to taste better again in about a month or so. Just try to stay away from the do not eat/drink list and take your prenatal vitamins. You will make it!

• Thanks!  No surprise and very excited. I just don't want to do anything that will jeopardize the health of the baby.  Good news to know about the sleeping.  Still hard to believe that I've waited this long to get married and have a baby.  But I am very excited and look forward to much support from experienced moms.

• hey congratulations!!

i just had a baby she is 2 months old and it seems i was pregnant just yesterday. first trimester is really hard all this morning sickness and throw ups. But believe me you ll forget everything every pain once your littl star comes in your hands. you are almost done with the difficult part. Itz said pregnancy may be difficult but itz never boring. each  day is different than other. Every day feeling differ. Dont worry u ll make it just have your routine check ups and eat healthy. Ad about sleeping i agree with baby nurse she is really expert. you can rely on her advice 100%.

Good luck and take care of ur little star.

Do tell us time to time we are always here to give advice that can help.

• Congratulations and welcome to the boards! Your concerns and fears are typical of a first-time mom. It's only natural to want to do the best for yourself and your baby. But pregnancy is not easy and often unexpected.

I had eight years between pregnancies and was shocked when I was so tired in my first trimester. I didn't remember that from the first time. Not only is every woman's reaction to pregnancy different, but so is her reaction to every pregnancy. I craved shrimp with my first baby, which I never liked before. Now it's one of my favorite foods.

StrongMoms is a great resource for any parent or parent-to-be, so I hope you'll be here often. Stick with your doctor's advice and relax. You'll be a great mom.

• Hi!  Congratulations on your pregnancy.  I had my baby at 33.  Sometimes it seems like there’s lots of young moms out there, but then when my baby was born, I realized that motherhood is a common bond – whether you are 18 or 45!  About the pregnancy and staying healthy, just hang in there (easier said than done, I know!).   Sometimes you will get to a point when just nothing feels comfy (like maybe now)… but then, it will change….Things  change all the time throughout the pregnancy, and a lot of people say their 1st trimester was the hardest.    One thing that worked for me was what I read in a baby magazine to ‘make the calories count’ – OK this won’t make your food taste any better, but it can give you a sense of satisfaction for the baby.  What it is, is just eat normally, but when you are hungry add in snacks and make them ones that are going to count well for the baby.  Like, instead of drinking a can of coke and eating a chocolate bar for a mid-morning snack which have calories but no vitamins, choose things like yoghurt or fruit and juice, whose calories also provide vitamins for the baby and fiber from the fruit that will help your digestion along.  It worked for me, in the sense that my OB-GYN told me that I’d gained exactly the right amount of weight at the end of the pregnancy – not too much and not too little.  Another idea: If you find yourself craving things (like fatty foods) maybe you can eat the ‘good version’ e.g. ‘good fats’ – like avocado?   I also tried to take a ‘middle road’ – I figured that if I had McDonalds once in a long while, it wasn’t going to be a disaster, esp if I only ate the same amount as I would eat of it pre-pregnancy.  On the other hand there are some cravings that I should not have listened to!  I had a craving for toothpaste and would always  swallow it after brushing teeth ‘cos I loved it… eventually my husband told me to stop…. I wish I’d used my common sense on that earlier!

• Hi and welcome!  As far as the sleeping thing, I agree with the previous post that either side would be fine.  I have a different issue, I always go to sleep on my side and wake up on my back.  It used to cause me issues with breathing (I'm 34 weeks) but now my sleeping self gets in a weird position with my leg hanging off the bed and I'm okay.

As far as the after taste you're very lucky if thats the extent of your morning sickness!  I had horrible nausea and vomiting for the first 4 months.  I got over it for several months, but the last couple weeks I've had a touch of the nausea again.

Pregnancy is full of many joys, but also many problems.  It's one of those times when you have to take the good with the bad.  Yeah, it sucks when the swelling comes and when you can't even put on your own socks and shoes, but it makes up for it when you get to hear your little one's heartbeat and feel him/her kicking around in your belly.  And of course, there's the big reward at the end...your little bundle of joy.  Good luck with your pregnancy, I look forward to hearing more from you in the months to come!Smile

• I HAD THE WORST TIME SLEEPING THROUGH MY WHOLE PREGANCY, THEIR IS REALLY NO COMFORTABLE POSITION I ALWAYS SLEPT ON MY RIGHT SIDE UNTIL ABOUT 7 MONTHS THEN I SLEPT ON MY LEFT AND I EITHER HAD TO HAVE A PILLOW ON MY BELLY OR MY BOYFRIENDS BACK UP AGAINST MY BELLY. TRUST ME IT IS A VERY HARD TIME AND YOU CAN DO IT IF I DID IT. IT WILL BE WORTH IT I NEVER WANTED TO HAVE A BABY AND NOW MY BABY BOY IS A MONTH AND I FIND MYSELF MISSING BEING PREGNANT YOUR BODY IS PROBLEY JUST PREPARING YOU FOR THE LACK OF SLEEP THAT YOU'LL HAVE WHEN YOUR BABY COMES. HANG IN THERE

• since you posted in May you're probably alot further along now but I figured I'd offer some advice. For sleeping: try a body pillow.  Boppy makes one that you can basically wrap around yourself.  make sure part of it is behind your back.  that will help with any back pain you're experiencing.  And part of it between you knees.  It's a little awkward at first but it really helps.  I'm pregnant with baby two and I love my boppy body pillow.  I already received the feeding pillow for when the baby arrives.  For eating: you just have to find a happy moderation in what you're puting in.  My first pregnancy all I wanted was Taco Bell.  I had to drive by it on my way to and from work.  I was surprised to find out that thier salad options are actually not to bad.  This baby seems to only want Big Macs from McDonald's.  I treat myself twice a month.  My doctors appointments are now every two weeks.  If I get good marks at my appointment I get to have my treat.  If the doc says I've got to work on some things then no McD's.  that should help you to eat what you know you should be eating anyway.  and use your favorite junk food as a well deserved treat for doing so well.  I already have a friend lined up to bring me a big mac while i'm in the hospital as my reward for delivering a healthy baby. 

I get alot of advice from my local babies r us.  I have found that they are extremely knowledgable.  I loved them so much when i was pregnant with my daughter that now I work there.  It's mostly moms that do work there and they get paid to help other moms.  they are also always current on what's new for baby products. 

Best of luck with your little one. Its all worth it in the end.

• i had my baby at 40 also and was terrified especially with morning sickness. to help with the water taste i added a tiny bit of kool aid just to add flavor or a shot of cranberry juice. that seemed to help. for sleeping i put a regular bed pillow between my knees and that helped. i tossed and turned because my sholders fell asleep a lot. i delivered at 30 weeks due to pre eclampsia but after everything and  6 weeks in the nicu we are home and all seemed worth it.  no matter what you are feeling all will be forgotten once you get the baby home healthy.