First time pregnant

• Well this is going to be my first baby, and i have a question is it normal to stay worried all the time that something might happen?

• mommhy2betj2012-

First of all congrats on your pregnancy.  What an exciting time for you!!  

Now, I'm guessing that others have said exactly those words to you already, and it sounds like you have some normal anxiety around your pregnancy and the delivery of a healthy baby.  There is a lot of social expectations around what pregnancy looks like.  Think of some of the movies you have see where women find out they are pregnant.  There is a lot of shrill excitement, glowing skin tone, and mommies to be munching away on pickles and ice cream, oh-and they continue to work full time during their pregnancy and hit the gym at 5am daily before going to the office.  Now, I'm sure there are a few women that have pregnancies like this, and I can tell you that for a lot of mom's to be it isnot this way.  Then having this social concept of pregnancy makes them feel like there is something wrong with them because they are more anxious than excited, they have terrible morning sickness, they get acne instead of glowing skin, they are to tired to work out, ect, ect, ect.  I think that there is a huge spectrum of how different women experience pregnancy.  I think that spectrum starts on one end with the perfect pregnancy like i described above, and then at the other end is the mom in misery.  What I want you to know is that there is a huge spectrum, and your feelings very much fit in the middle of that spectrum.  You will hear from other mom's the very words that you have stated here today...all of this just to say that "you are normal".  I think it is important that you find someways to put your mind at ease with this pregnancy.  You can start by getting set up with a really good medical provider as he/she can offer the reassurance regarding your health that will help you be more at ease.  The other thing that I want you to do is to do some reflecting on other times in your life when you have faced stressful events and how you dealt with things then.  What has worked well for you?  What did not work?  You can certainly come here 24 hours a day for support, answers to your questions, and even if you just need to get things off your mind.  Please let us know how you are doing-and let me know what some of those coping skills you have used in the past that have worked are.

Take care, Jess

• I think everyone is worried something might happen. I was at the beginging of my pregnancy(this was my first also)  and now my son is one month. Just relax and take care of yourself.I got the book "what to expect when you are expecting" and it was very helpful. You can find it on amazon for a really good price. Congrats on your pregnancy and good luck with everything.

• I think parenthood means you are nervous from conception until the day you die! Try to take it minute by minute through your pregnancy if you are a worrier... there's always possibilities to consider and some of those possibilities are scary. Take comfort knowing that we live in a time and place where mothers and their children have the best chances of being healthy than anytime in history! Congrats and good luck!

• I just had my first, and, yes, I was worried all the time.  My daughter wasn't much of a kicker most days, and I would worry the entire time until she'd give me a good jab.  You'd think I would have gotten used to it with the pattern being pretty much the same every day, but I still worried.  Once she was born I still worried, and would check on her all the time when she was sleeping (she's almost 9 months now and I still check on her once or twice before I go to bed).  I think worrying shows you really care about your child and that you want them to be healthy.  Just be careful not to worry too much.  If you're doing all you can to do as your doctor says to do during your pregnancy then you're doing things right.  Another poster suggested the What to Expect book...I loved that one when I was pregnant.  It was a great resource, and it helped me ease my worry knowing others had experienced what I was experiencing.

Good luck and congratulations!

• I agree with everyone else - parenthood is a huge, tremendous joy and big, massive worry! I constantly worry about my boy and how to keep him safe, etc. At the same time, you do become more confident in your ability as a mother and learn to just treasure the moments you have together rather than worrying so much. Congrats on your pregnancy!

• I myself just found out I was expecting, and up to the day I had my first sonogram I worried. I took a pregnancy test every week to make sure that I was still pregnant, because I didnt feel differnt.  And everyone kept asking how do you feel?? And actually I didnt feel any different so I thought was is wrong with me. But i am now 8w4d,  and boy did things start to change. Th second I saw that little shadow on the US I teared up and it was real for me. I now have started to get signs/symptoms and am feeling "pregnant". My worries are subsiding each day and I am just getting more and more excited. So I wish you luck with your pregnancy and like all new moms we will worry Im sure but lets try to be happy for this upcoming bundle of JOY!!!!

• Hey ! this is going to be my first baby too. I am older 34. So I am always nervous. when I first learned I was pregnant I was worried it was going to end up being eptopic. when i started spotting and  went to the doctor to get my first look at my baby I found out it was okay and i felt better. but then after a few weeks i was worrying again. I guess I assumed that I would see the doctor more often and more frequently so that I would know 100% that my baby was safe. This last time i went all excited to get another ultra sound and all we did was listen to the heart. It was amazing to hear my sweet baby's heartbeat. But i was sad I didn't get a look at the little fella/ girl.... I had a friend on fb tell me that she worried so much that she went on ebay and found a baby heart monitor, and fell asleep every night listening to her babys heart beat. That may sound a bit extreme. but sweet . i have even considered looking for one. haha 

I would just say try not to worry. I went out and got a cheap copy of what to expect at a thrift store... Its a good resourceful book. but it annoys me that its broken down into months, not weeks like my doctor said it should be... Also if you are a worrier like me, there are way too many things in that book to worry about. It covers every possible scenario, and my cousin said when she was pregnant it made her worry she or the baby had things they did not. Do your best to eat right, don't drink or smoke. limit caffeine intake and with alittle prayer and support these babies will be here before we know it! 

I am rounding out my first trimester and I hear this is where I am suppose to start feeling good.. so I am praying thats soo. 

• Hi. I am 25 years old and this is my first baby. I have had my fair share of ups and downs; morning sickness, all day stomach pain, yawning and passing out at work in another state, and my darling other half who leaned on my stomach and forgot there was a baby in there. I would worry every moment of the day if everything was fine, and at every doctor's appointment when I could hear her heart beat I felt tears in my eyes. You are a mom how and worrying about your child is your job...it shows you care. But remember to relax once in a while because you are a great mom and you always have been since the day you found out you became one!

• Yes it is very normal.... This is my second child and i still get a bit worried  :/

I believe every mother gets worried with their pregnancy you never know  what can happen.... But i say don't worry too much it's not good :/