Pregnancy and skin care

• My skin has been very dry the last few weeks, mostly my hands and legs. Is this normal? I keep applying lotion but it's not helping. Any advice on what product works best for dry skin?

• I find that my skin is particularly dry during pregnancy. Different women have different responses to pregnancy and dry skin can be one of them. It also is still warm in many parts of the country and you want to make sure you are drinking enough water! The best kinds of lotions that I have been told about by my dermatologist are basically thick creams...you want your lotion to be somewhat thick like Cetaphil moisturizing cream or Eucerin or any other type of lotion that is thicker like those. They tend to do a better job moisturizing and last a bit longer. I hope this helps! 

• I found that getting out of the shower and applying baby oil or lotion to damp skin seemed to help me feel a bit less dry. Hopefully this won't last too long though...how far along are you in your pregnancy? 

• Thanks for the advice. My skin is much better. My hands were so dry, my skin was peeling. I'm 16 weeks. Now I have carpal tunnel. If it's not one thing, it's another!

• I've had the same problem already. I started using aloe vera recently and it's been helping for my face at least which was cracking. It sounds like the baby oil works for you though.

• Ah, carpal tunnel is no fun! It can be aggravated by pregnancy with swelling and edema. Talking to your OB about some helpful hints can get you through it all. Hang in there...it is worth it in the end!