thoughts on labor classes!?

• Hello!! I am 26 and this is my first pregnancy and everything has been perfect! I am 25 weeks with a little boy. I am wonderign of I should take  classes to prepare for labor? I have a medical background and have seen most of a delivery, if I take the class since my husband works out of town it is really unlikely that he will be able to go though he will be in the room when I have Corbin. I am not really nervous and I know that the medical staff is going to be there for me the whole way. So i guess I am just wondering what are the benefits and if they are worth the time? I also work full time, and go to school for a bachelors in psychology full time and have a 2 year old step daughter Thursday through Monday!! Thanks Ladies!!

• It sounds like you are a busy lady!  If you think there is something you would gain from the group it might be the group support as you have quite a bit of knowledge already.  If you think it might add more stress to your live given your busy life than might be worse passing on.  Strong moms can offer people a lot of support and we are here 24 hours a day, so keep that in mind as well.  Let us know what you decide and how things are progressing!

:)  Jess

• Wow - sounds like you are quite the busy person and you have already have some pretty good knowledge about the labor process. Anything you are not certain about, the staff can guide and help you with, like you said. The only thing I might personally do is go to your library and see what books they have on the labor process. Perhaps check one out that looks interesting and skim to make sure you get any additional information you need. That is what I did, as I am a NICU RN and have seen many deliveries. I simply wanted to make sure I had all my bases covered and it did mention a few things I hadn't thought of. Hope this helps! 

• I think that is a good idea to get some books!! I got one book from my OB and I finished it! :) I love to read and I honestly just didn't even think about it! Ya'll are so right it would honestly stress me out to try and actually MAKE it to class!! lol You think watching a baby story counts? HEHEHEHE!

• I think it is great if you can take a class...even if you are a medical professional. I took a class event though I was a NICU nurse and it did help to confirm things I knew. If someone can go with you then it is even better. Good luck and let us know how it goes. 

• I was torn on whether or not to attend the classes, but I'm glad I did. There were definitely some helpful ideas for labor and contractions, but also information that I thought was common sense. Even though I read up on anything pregnancy I could get my hands on, I felt much more confident after taking the classes our local hospital offered.

• I love "A Baby Story"! Consider it extra credit?? :-) 

• Looks like lots of different ideas and opinions here.  Just checking in to see what you are thinking...Would love and update.

-Jess

• Wow thank you so much for bringing up this topic.  I, too, will be a first time mom and am wondering if this class is also going to be worth my time.  I am currently going to school full time and was recently diagnosed as being at risk  for preterm labor after intense contractions that were 5 minutes apart landed me in the maternity triage on two separate occasions.  My doctor ordered me to start bed rest until the baby comes.  She thinks its because of my constant walking around the campus to get to my classes and the fact that I am already carrying my daughter extremely low (I mean literally it is as if she could come any day now).  I thought about taking the class, but considering the fact that I am busy with school and that I am on bed rest I questioned whether or not I should attempt to go.  My hospital offers the class, but it costs $70.  I could very well use that toward other reading material as well as more items needed for my baby.  I am, however, taking a breastfeeding class later on today.  Breastfeeding has to be the one thing that I am worried the most about.  I already feel pretty confident about labor and delivery and I have a wonderful husband that I know will provide me the ultimate support.  I am glad to see that some people do not deem it as extremely necessary, and that makes me feel a lot better about the whole thing. Thanks again for the post and thanks to all the Ladies that responded!!!  Major helper!!!!

• I think that I am leaning more towards not going. I do plan on taking lactation classes but I do not think that I have time to squeeze in labor classes too. I kind of see it as he is going to come either way!! :) I am going to look today and see if there are any like online classes or videos to help too though.