how soon is too soon to get pregnant after a c-section?

• I've heard that I should wait at least 18 months before trying to get pregnant again, but no doctor has told me this. I'm curious if anyone has gotten pregnant after a c-section and had a healthy pregnancy and baby. I'm a little over 3 months postpartum with my son, but I want my children to be close in age. any advice?

• Oh goodness.. I think this is a question best directed toward your doctor. There has been many women who have become pregnant shortly after giving birth and has had healthy babies, but that has to put some serious strain on your body. Even if there are other women who have been in your situation and have had healthy pregnancies soon after a c-section that doesn't necessarily mean that your body has healed enough to withstand another pregnancy. So to be safe i think it would be best if you make an appointment with your doctor and get his or her opinion on the matter.

• My doctor has said I've healed up really nice and that she has seen plenty of people have healthy babies even after a c-section this early. She said she has also seen women have bad pregnancies but she said she doesn't believe anything could go wrong as long as I know my limits and don't over work myself during the pregnancy. I want my children close in age but I don't know just how soon I want another one. My son is great and I couldn't be luckier with how good he is but I feel like I should enjoy him for awhile before bringing another baby into the family. thank you for your input though! :)

• I am currently pregnant (32 weeks) and my son will be about 15 months when I have this baby. I had a c-section with my son and I conceived when he was about 6 months (I think, I had to count backwards since I didn't know I was pregnant until I was 3 months along). I have had a very good and healthy pregnancy so far and I am even doing a VBAC. So, I guess it's something to ask your doctor and I think it would also depend on what kind of pregnancy you had the first time.

• I think that is great you have already gotten some reassurance from your doctor.  I think the big thing now is timing. I too want my children to be fairly close in age, but even at 15 months old i can see just how much my daughter still needs me. I can see that she is beginning to gain more independence and will play on her own much more, but she still needs a lot of assistance and i have to keep a really good eye on her at ALL times or she will wind up climbing things she isn't supposed to. For us it is important for our children to have as much time with us as possible before taking much of the attention they need away and putting it on another child who also really needs that attention. As long as your doctor feels you are physically fit to carry another healthy pregnancy and you are feeling up to the challenge of having two small children at the same time then there really isn't a wrong answer, 

• ScottiJo, As I heard from a friend who experience cesarean section, the general recommended time frame for pregnancy after cesarean section is 18 to 24 months. But it is more safe to consult your OB-Gyne first before making any steps to be sure that everything would run smoothly.

• I will be the first to admit birth control is not my strong suit! I got pregnant again when my daughter was 5 months old. I had her via c-section. I however was not able to carry the pregnancy to term and miscarried at 14 weeks. I got pregnant again when she was 10 months old. I am currently 6 months along and considered high risk, I was already told I would have to have another c-section (thats fine with me as long as my baby gets here safely). So getting pregnant after a c-section depends on your body. Talk to your Doctor about it and see, but its all in God's will how fast you become pregnant again.

Personally I wish my kids would be a little further apart than they will be, but I am excited they will be so close in age and hopefully have a great sisterly bond.