scared from test results.. plz read

• I am worried sick, a Dr called me today and advised me a test came back that I am high risk for birth defects? I'm 19 weeks and haven't had my ultrasound yet, so they asked me to come in tomorrow to see if they can spot anything and for more test.. if anyone has been through this i really need some support and advice

• It is extremely scary when tests come back abnormal. What test did your doctor say was abnormal. If it was a screening test, then try to remember that screening tests are just made to find people who MAY be at a higher risk. If your levels come back abnormal for a screening test, it means that you are at a higher risk than the average person, but it doesn't mean that you have a problem. Only specific genetics testing can tell you if you are a carrier for a specific genetic disease.

I know it is very scary right now, but try to remain calm. Continue to talk to your doctor and ask him any questions you may have. Keep the lines of communication open and surround yourself with supportive family and friends until all of this is sorted out. Good luck

• Thank you, I'm trying to relax until my appointment in a couple hours, just difficult.  This is my first pregnancy and I've moved to CA from NC where all my family is lol so they're going crazy also...  The last tests I had done were urine and blood but I never know what all they are testing for... I have more specific test today so I can be a little more informed but again Thank you

• THEY TOLD ME I WAS HIGH RISK AS WELL. EVEN AFTER MY SONS BIRTH THEY PUT HIM THROUGH A BATTERY OF BLOOD TESTS.. ALL WERE NEGATIVE... STAY STONG AND THINK POSITIVE...

• thank you for the optimism I really appreciate it... I went for test today and it is much better than I initially thought... right now I have 1 in 90 risk of trisomy 18 and the test I did today will say either yes or no in a couple weeks, again thank you

• Please remain optimistic. The chances of your child being affected with trisomy 18 is slim, but you should keep getting ultrasounds and required testing. We are here for you to voice any concerns and fears. Just keep your head up and focus on the positive aspects of your pregnancy....like the arrival of your beautiful baby!!

• I've heard stuff like this on other pregnancy boards, and I wish the dr's offices would do a better job of explaining what the screening really tells them.  Moms-to-be tend to really get upset when the tests are NOT saying whether or not the baby has a genetic defect. 

• I so agree!  With this being my first pregnancy, I was horrified when I got that call, and not experienced to know what questions I could ask at that time... I had no idea they already knew exactly what disease they were talking about and the odds... I believe that would have helped me sleep a little that night... my poor baby must have been flipping the way I was upset!