epidural

• I am due in one month and can't make up my mind if I want to get an epidural or not.  How do you know if you're going to need it?  Do I have the pain tolerance I need not to get it?  How did you decide/what are your experiences?  

• This is my 2nd pregnancy. I got an epidural with my first and i plan on getting on this time around. For me the contractions were just to much for me to bear. I consider myself to have a high tolerance for pain  but when the contractions started to get closer together i couldn't handle it.  my sister has had three babies and did not get an epidural either time. i guess for everybody it's different, i just couldn't imaging giving birth without it. 

• I thought I could handle the pain because it was something that was supposed to happen.  Well, they are tolerable when you have a break in between.  When they are right on top of each other it is much more difficult.  I had only dialated 1 cm without the epidural.  That was in 10 hours.  When I finally got the epidural I had the baby in the next 1 1/2!  The dr. said it relaxed me.  It's different for everyone. Good luck.

• The way I did it was I waited to see my pain levels. If i felt it was intolerable, then I got it. Just make sure you don't wait too long or you cant get it. Some people have a great tolerance to pain while others ( me) needed it after about 3-4 cm dilation. I am very happy I ended up getting one with both girls. My first weighed almost 8 lbs and the second was a whopping 9 lbs 6 oz!!! Just do what you feel is right for you and don't decide because someone tells you what's right :D
  • I have two children. I had a epidural with both however it didnt work the first time. I can honestly say that having a natural birth is very painful. I decided to try the epidural with my second pregnancy and Im glad I did, I didnt feel a thing, just pressure. You will know when you need it, ust talk to the nurses and they will help you determine when its time. 

• I got an epidural last pregnancy. I don't really have a high pain tolerance and it was really helpful for me. You will know when it gets time if you can handle the pain or not. Good luck!!

• For me I dialated to quickly to make a choice so I had to go with out anything. Every persons body is different. Just like the other women who have had it it went well. For one of my friends that got an epidural she was so close to giving birth and the epidural calmed her down so much that she couldn't feel the contractions. The baby was ready to come out and she wasn't pushing very well. It's just one situation her other pregnancies went well. I say it depends on what you can handle. If you have time ask the nurse what the effects are on you and your baby that might help you decide.

• Thanks for all the replies!  My hospital says if I want to use an epidural I need to make arrangements in advance with the anesthesiologist.  I would like to just wait and see if/when I need it.  I guess I will just go ahead and arrange to have the epidural and tell them what I'm thinking.

• With my first I decided agains drugs but the pain just seemed unbearable. I don't know what language I was talking but it wasn't english. The nurse said I was scaring the other mothers and I said I didn't care. The nurse sarcastically said she knew I'd need something and they said they'd get me something. In between that time nurses changed shifts and then I had to wait for them toget the okay from the doctor, yes it was a while. Finally I was given demarol and my contractions we're a minute apart lasting for a minute so of course the demarol did not work. I told the nurse I could still feel the pain and she said I would it was just to relax me but since they we're so close there was no relaxing so I don't know what the purpose was. Funny,I can remember the details 11 yrs ago but not the pain. I do recall once the head came out all the pain went away. I'm going to try drug free again. I've heard all the stories both pros and cons but I'm going to try and do without. Just a personal opinion, who knows if I will really make it or not. Go for what you feel and what works right for you and not what you will be judged on. Good luckIndifferent

• I've never had an epidural, I am to scared of needles I always get pain meds thru my iv and they seem to work fine for me. I have heard to many stories about how epidurals causes back problems. I think I will just stick with what ever comes thru the iv don't think I could handle the shot in my back. Zip it!

• I checked into the hospital, told them I was there to have a baby and that I wanted the epidural.  I am a big baby when it comes to pain. The epidural was wonderful. I was laughing during delivery:) I wouldn't worry about the needle. You don't see what's going on and you don't feel it either. I will definitely have the epidural the next time around.

• I got one with my son and i plan on getting  one with this son and i decided after i had all back labor and im glad i did because my son tore me down there when he was coming out and if it wasnt for the epidural i would have felt the rip he did. It is not a sign of weakness to get a epidural!!!

• I recently had to get a spinal(similar to epidural but a catheter doesn't stay in place allowing for more meds) for a required surgery. My friends and mom who had epidurals before just told me to stay still because I was afraid my back would be destroyed. Since I was able to experience this I know what to expect now during delivery should I require one. I also experience the extreme numbness in my pelvic area and will still now decide against it, personally, in fear that I won't be able to push her out since I had no feeling in that area.  I know I can stay still, but delivery day may be totally different, especially if I'm in pain as I was not in prior to having the spinal done. Again, who knows what delivery day will bring, but for right now I am still deciding against the epidural. I've went through so much to get her here so for me deciding to continue the fight without the epidural is the least of my worries at this point. I just pray for the day that she's here and I can hold her in my arms.Good LuckBig SmileYes

• With my 1st 3 kids I wanted to go natural and didn't want the epidural due to the horror stories women told me. Also, like you I felt as though I wouldn't know when to push either. During my 4th child delivery I tackled my fears and I received the epidural. It was wonderful they told me when to push because the nurse could tell when I was having contractions. I was sing, reading magazines, and watching t.v. I want to receive it again with this little one during delivery. I just thought I would share that with you.