Cloth Diapers

• I want to use cloth diapers once my baby is born.  I like the idea of being eco-friendly and having less diaper rash to deal with.  There is so much conflicting information out there.  I've gotten a little bit bogged down in all of it.  Any advice or tips for what I should look for?

• There are just tons and tons of different kinds of diapers and advice/opinions out there. I agree that it can all become a little crazy! I would try just asking your friends that use cloth diapers (if any do) what their experience has been. Another idea is researching who sells a variety of cloth diapers and ordering a sample pack. I know a friend of mine ordered a pack from a retailer with a variety of cloth diaper brands and was able to trial and error which ones she liked when the baby came and send back any she did not end up using. I keep hearing that cloth diapers with snaps are better than velcro, since the velcro can start to wear down and the ones that can be snapped up and used from newborn all the way till toddlerhood really do work well! Hope this helps a tiny bit...I can't say that I've used cloth but I plan on doing it with my second baby!

• clcantu12-

I'm not the best person to answer your post as I don't have experience with cloth diapers, h/e I think you might be new to the boards as i haven't seen you around much so I wanted to welcome you to strong moms!

I think that you will find the the boards to be very supportive and a great resource for getting questions answered.

Take a look around and see if you have any questions.  If so just post a "help" post and I'm happy to assist.

Welcome to the boards!

-Jess

• I used a combination of cloth diapers and disposable. I admit that I had better intentions of using cloth more than I did, but they did come in handy from time to time. It can be overwhelming to go through all the information available about cloth diapers, so my advice would be to pick one and try it out. Maybe buy 4 different types and try them out to see which ones you like---then you can buy a bunch of the ones you like. I agree that snaps may be better than velcro. Also you will definitely need liners. They make things a lot easier to clean. Unfortunately, you may not be able to make a decision till the baby is born and you may find yourself using 2 or 3 different brands. Cloth diapers sure have come a long way though since we were born, so whichever you use is bound to be great!