New Mom to Preemie Boy

• My son was born August 23rd 2011 @ 34 weeks and 1 day. I went into severe preeclampsia in a matter of 12 hours. At 11:23pm that day my son was born by c-section weighing 6 lbs 12 ozs. I have Type 1 diabetes and even though well controlled he was still a big boy.

He stay in the intermediate nursery which is a down step from the NICU. He was there from August 23rd to September 9th when he finally was able to come home.

He's formula feed after issues with my breast milk not coming in like it should and then no one telling me that the type of birth control I was going to be on for the first 6 weeks would cause my milk to dry up and not come back in. His formula until October 13th will be Similac ExpertCare Neosure 22 calorie fortified to 24 calorie. Then he will be on Similac Advance Early Shield with Probiotics. For the first two weeks I was able to give him breast milk so that's why the choice of the Advance Early Shield.

• Congratulations on your new baby boy!  I bet its nice to be home with him too.  My daughter was born 2 weeks early since I had pregnancy induced hypertension basically from the beginning.  She was 5lbs 10oz.  I also had issues with lack of breast milk due to my blood pressure problems so I was unable to breast feed past 2 months even with supplementing.  Even with things not turning out exactly as I had planned it was amazing bringing my baby girl home.  My daughter is almost 7 months old now & still a bit small for her age but doing very well.  Sounds like both you and your son are strong and I wish you well.  

• diabeticmom84-

Congrats on the birth of a healthy baby, and for getting to finally bring him home!  I can imagine that after such a long wait in the hospital the trip home was even more sweet!!  It sounds like you have a great feeding plan for him.  I am so impressed with how well you have all that figured out!

I am so glad that you found your way to the boards.  I think you will find great support here and you should get help with any questions that you might have.  I'm looking forward to getting to know you are your baby better!

-Jessica

• Welcome to StrongMoms! Both of you ladies have great stories of perseverance and strength with your pregnancies. So glad to hear you are all home and doing well. Congrats!!

• I can understand where you are coming from. Khloe was born just shy of ten weeks early. She was in the nicu for only 7 days.  I went into labor because of an infection that the doctors did not know I had. I brest feed her as much as my body will allow and when I have to give her formula I give her Similac ad. The is the only formula she has been able to keep down . We are looking forward to her five month check up to seehow far she has come...

• Congratulations! Your situation certainly wasn't easy but it's great to hear that you are home and everybody is doing well!