NICU baby

• Hello all!  I'm new to the boards, but just wanted to share my story and frustration.  Our son was born at 39 weeks 6 days on 9/9 after 3 hours of pushing.  He had a lot of trouble with fast breathing when he finally came out.  They tried everything, even putting him on my chest to calm him, but nothing worked.  Finally, he got whisked away to the NICU and put on antibiotics due to an infection.  He was supposed to only stay 7 days, but the day before he was to be discharged his oxygen levels kept dropping to 85-84 so they put him on O2, which means he'll have to stay.  This is so frustrating for me and hubby, especially since I'm breastfeeding.  The docs and nurses are baffled since he's full term, and strong.  I'm getting tired of spending my days at the hospital, want little man home.  Anyone else experienced this with a full term baby?

• Allaya9-

This must be really frustrating and disappointing given your expectation of taking home a healthy baby.  I worked in a NICU and we certainly had full term babies there.  Often babies that have a hard time transitioning to birth (to fast) and have low blood sugars will be on the unit as well as babies with infections as you described.  I know it is hard, but it's important to keep in mind that he is getting the life saving treatment that he needs to survive.  You are very blessed that he is full term as this will help provide him with the energy and the lung maturity to survive and ultimately thrive.  Keep coming here to talk, we are more than willing to support you in whatever way can be helpful.  Keep us in the loop,

Jess

• Oh, how frustrating! I empathize with how difficult this all must be for you! I've worked in the NICU and seen situations like yours before. While it is very difficult that he is there, at least you know that he is being monitored and you can be assured the doctors will not let him go home in a condition that you have to be constantly worried about him. All that being said, I know you just flat out miss your little man. I'll be praying the doctors figure out what treatment he needs as soon as possible and that you all can be a family again soon. Your son is lucky to have a wonderful and dedicated mother like you. Hugs.

• Hello,  I do know how you feel about the NICU and your baby being their.  My son was born at 28 weeks and weighed 2 pounds 11 oz when he was born and  had to be in the NICU for 2 1/2 months before we were able to bring him home.    Just know that your baby is in the best place right now.  The doctors and nurese in the NICU are very helpful and are their if you need them.  When my son was in the NICU I was their at 9 in the morning and lefted at 12 in the afternoon and then went back at night so that I could see him before I went to bed.   And now our son weighs 16 pounds 12 oz and is such a happyn baby.   I am so grateful for the doctors and nurese in the NICU were he was, cause they saved him.    So know that he will be home with you guys soon, they just wanted to make sure that he is ok.

• We had friends who had a baby in the NICU for two months and we really gained appreciation for the roller coaster ride parents have to go through. Thankfully, their daughter survived and more than a year later, is a relatively normal little girl. God Bless you and your family and stay strong. For those of us who are lucky enough to not have gone through a similar circumstance, hopefully you appreciate what you have every day!

• Having two of my three boys having been born at 33 and 34 weeks and having to stay in the NICU (our youngest just came home lat week!) I can understand your frustrations.  You never imagine in all your planning and throughout your pregnancy that you will be leaving the hospital without your baby and having to return to "visit" All I can tell you is that your son is in good hands and to stay strong.  I cried everyday and thats ok, it will get better and it will all be worth every second of it! Good luck to you and your family. 

• I know it is frustrating for you and you are worried and eager to go home with him..but I echo the others on the forum when I say that he is in the best place possible. They will figure it out and get him home to you as soon as he is strong enough. In the near future you will look back on this period of time and it will seem like such a short little "blip" in the overall picture. I know because my full term baby was the same way...now I can barely remember the time we spent in the NICU.

• Update:  I just wanted to let everyone know that Lochlan is home now.  He ended up spending 11 days in the NICU, sorry it took so long to give an update but he keeps us busy.  Last doctor appt he weighed 9lbs which was 2lbs heavier than his birth weight.  Now I think he's tipping the scales at 12 almost 13lbs and doing great.  Almost 2 months old!  Thank you all for your wonderful support.

• Allaya9 - congrats!! So happy that Lochlan is home and you all are doing well. Sounds like he is gaining weight well and thriving. :-) Hugs!