Baby has trouble getting use to the crip.

•  I have a 3 1/2 month old boy. First time mom. The first month he did not sleep at night because he had sinus trouble. So I have been letting him sleep in his car seat to elavate his head. He sinus trouble is doing better. I am trying to get him to sleep in his crip. Not having any luck! Any suggestions? 

• Have you spoken with your pediatrician? Why do they think he has sinus trouble? You should talk to your doctor about getting him to sleep in his crib and making sure he doesn't have reflux. Sometimes refluxing babies can get "stuffy sounding noses". Make sure you talk to your doctor! Good Luck!

• Thanks for the info. I have talked to his doc. Thank goodness no acid reflux. My son has inherited the sinus trouble from his dad. When I do lay him in his crip, he will only sleep for 1hr. and is up and down all night. His crip is elvated now too. I do the swaddling, the bath time routine, the quite time, and no luck. Any other suggestions on how to get him to sleep all night?

• I'm glad to hear that your son's doctor checked him out and that everything is ok! That is great news.  The question I have is where do you place his car seat when he sleeps in it?  Is it in the same room that you sleep in, or is it in the same room as his crib?  I think this might be the key as to what is going on with him.  Let us know and I'll help you problem solve from there.

-Jess

• His crip is in the room where I sleep, be side of the bed. When he goes down for the night.  I put the car seat in side the crip. Ugh what to do. A person will do anything for some sleep.I feel like its my fault. I am trying to fix it before it gets to bad. When I lay him down for a nap. I put him in his port a crip or his swing. He does pretty good. How do you feel about the whole crying it out thing. 

• I am having the same trouble except for my daughter is 6 weeks old and sleeps in her bouncer seat. When she falls asleep in my arms I put her in her crib but 15 minutes later she wakes up crying and won't stop until I get her out. I usually let her in there for a little before getting her out but still it doesn't work. The crib is in my room cause I basically live in a one room apt and don't have much room for it to go anywhere else. Any tips?
  • Oh my, bless your heart, I know what you are going through. Ugh my son was soooo bad. It took him a couple of weeks to get use to his crip. This may sound a little crazy, but this what I did. When I would lay him down, he would only sleep for a short time. When he would cry, I made sure he was ok, I would peek over  the side of his crips. I did not let him see me, and I didnt talk to him. It was very very hard, but I let him cry it out. Oh my goodness it would made me sooo brokenhearted. I felt so guilty, and thought I was a bad mother. I stuck with it though and now he is doing great!!! Good luck!!

• I too have a 3 1/2 month old. He has been sleeping in a little rocker since birth that keeps his head elevated. He does not like laying flat at all. We have been trying to transition him to his crib but it has definitly been a challange. I decided to allow him to cry a bit just to see if he could get used to it on his own. I stand over him and talk to him and then walk away. When he cries I go back to reassure him I am near and then walk away again. After doing this a few times, he settles down and he is starting to take short naps...30 minutes or so. I am hoping this is a start to something new. He will actually sleep 4-5 hrs in his rocker, so looking forward to when he does the same in his crip. 

• Kellygirl-I want to applaud your technique in helping your baby get used to sleeping in his crib.  You are doing it just right!  I know that this is a hard struggle to deal with, but if you get through it now it will be significantly easier to deal with the 2 and 3 year old bedtime issues.  Keep up the good work!

-Jess

• Thank you Jess for your encouragementSmile

Kelly

• Me and my husband has tried the cry it out method since 1 month, and it has helped. i lay him down, i talk to him softly, carress his head and he LOVes it when i run my finger on his eyebrows or the bridge of his nose, then he just falls asleep. the baby needs reasuurance that he is not alone, so i stand there until he is already eyes half open. try it it might take a while. (i have a 4.5 month old baby)