Baby Einstein DVD's...

• Does anyone know when your baby can start watching the Baby Einstein dvd's?  I have a 2 month old  and he has colic and I'm at the end of my rope here; I'm desperate to try anything at this point-anything that may distract the crying!!  Is 2 months too early?  Any advice on these dvd's is also welcomed.....Thanks Big Smile

• I don't think any age is too young... as long as his eyesight is good enough to see the tv you're good to go... Obviously the dvd shouldn't be used as a constant form of distraction or entertaiment but 20 minute spurts shouldn't hurt him a bit... My niece has several of the dvds and she's been watching them since she was about 6 weeks old.. She LOVES the polar bears. she intently watches until they come on then starts babbling, flapping her arms, and kicking her legs... So cute.

• No age is to young!  Another great idea is any kind of music and reading to baby.  These are all ways of getting those brain cells and neural connections hopping!

-Jess

• We have a channel called baby first on our tv network and hazel LOVES it... she flaps her arms and kick her legs and tries to laugh. It's so cute to watch. I like it too. They have a sign language segment where they repetedly say a work and make the hand signal for that word, they have language buliding programs, several visual programs.. my favorite is the people who draw in the sand that's covering a light box, and the clay sculpting program, there are music programs.. really all sorts of different things. We read to her also, and tummy time twice a day and she plays on her back. We're working on rolling over, she just hasn't figure out how to get her limbs out of the way yet.

• Thanks for the advice!  I will definitely look into that Baby first channel, thanks.  I will try to read or sing to him, but this colic is a beast, let me tell you!  I'm lucky just to get him to sleep much less trying to find quality awake time.  I did play one of the Baby Mozart dvds to him yesterday and he was oving it for about 10 min.  I think 10 min is good.  He is only 2 months old so I know he can only handle so much.  Thanks again!

• have you talked to your doctor about his collic? my friend and her babies doctor thought her daughter had collic for the longest time... turned out she was allergic to the formula she was being fed and had hives in her stomach.

• I want to echo what Brinny said about the colic Cupcake79...any pesky symptom like that should get checked out.  

-Jess

• Babies like pretty much anything that is visually interesting. My little guy loved to stare at our ceiling fan as it rotated. Pretty cheap entertainment! What about a mobile in your baby's crib? Those are usually a hit. Good luck!

• The Academy of Pediatrics recommends that children under the age of 2 not be exposed to TV. At this age they really don't need it. I know you are at your wits end with colic, but at such an early age he probably would like motion better. Try swings, bouncy seats, vibrating seats, rocking etc. Mobiles are a great way to introduce sights and there are also crib aquariums etc.. If you really think TV would help, then try to pick a virtual aquarium or something soothing like that!

• Thanks for your thoughts!  Yes, we have been to several doctors with all the same opinion.  We even saw a pediatric surgeon to check  him out.  We have changed his formula several times and he is now on Alimentum.  We have tried many swings, we have 3 different types!  and 2 different bouncers!  The mobiles seem to have just caught his interest this week.  Trust me we have tried everything!!!  And all this stuff isn't cheap!  I know they aren't supposed to watch tv til they are 2 which is why I was asking in the first place.  I definitely don't want to harm his brain development.  I will look into the virtual aquarium, that sounds kindof cool actually.  thanks!!

• I think all babies are different... Mine for example only likes her boppy bouncy chair and me... We have a mamaroo and she will not sit in it without crying. Every other baby that has used the thing is out like a light almost immediately... not mine!.. so we got her a swing thinking that maybe she didn't like the seat or motion of the mamaroo. She liked it for the first couple of days, but once again doesn't want to sit in it. she care for the mobiles or the vibration settings in the chairs. What she does like is the baby first channel... It really catches her interest, and her play mat that has hanging toys. They may say not to let your baby watch tv until 2. but it's my opinion that it's not going to hurt the baby in small spurts. You still have to have tummy time and floor play time, reading, quiet time, and we spend some time every day teaching her new sounds and try to get her to repeat them (we're only successful a small amount of the time)... so i don't think 20 minutes a day watching a developmental program is going to do much if any harm, but once again that's just my opinion.... If you just set then down in the morning and leave them there until it's time to eat then put them back.. then yes... Harmful.