Getting my 7 1/2 month old to sleep through the night......

• He has a routine he likes to follow every night we have dinner at 5:30 he wants  to take a nap at 6 (he only sleeps 30 minutes top)...then we play until 8 at which time he is ready for his bath....by 8:45 he is ready for a bottle and I put him to bed.  We have been doing this for the past couple of months the only problem is every night after i put him down i never know if i will be up twice that night or 5-6 times.  He usually wants a bottle around midnight and I can never get him to take more than 4 oz during the night before he falls back asleep then around 2-3 am he wakes up again it's a little harder to get him back down after that bottle then between 4-5 he stays awake for at least 30-45 minutes and will not take a bottle at all then he wakes up ready to go by 6:30 then back out by 8:30 - breakfast and bottle at 9-9:30 very little napping during the day (i work full time, my Mom keeps him) then around 3p he takes a little bit longer nap usually an hour......What might I try differently throughout the day to keep him sleeping a little longer during the night (this mom looks frazzled, lol) i have almost gotten to the point that i'm not sleeping at night because i'm laying there waiting on him to start crying.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

\

• The first thing that jumps out at me is that you should try to eliminate the 30-minute nap at 6pm if possible. Do things to keep him active and stimulated, and if you have to put him down at 7:30 instead of 8, so be it. Easier said than done, I know! Secondly, it seems to me that giving him multiple bottles at night at this point is not productive either. Does he eat well during the day? Right now, he is waking up because he gets rewarded with a treat. Always check with your pediatrician to make sure he is developing well and getting enough nutrition, but at nearly 8 months, he shouldn't be feeding in the middle of the night really at all. Give him a big bottle before bed, then if he wakes, go in comfort him without talking and leave. Wait 5 minutes and see what happens..if you go in a second time, wait 10 mins, and so on. Stimulation such as white noise or a pacifier could also help. Unfortunately, in the short run, breaking him of these habits may mean less sleep, but in a week or so, you should be able to develop a new routine. I hope this helps!

• Stop feeding him at night. Hes waking because he knows you will feed him. As soon as I stopped feeding my baby at night he slept straight through. It does take a night or two but in the end its worth it. They have to learn to fall back to sleep on their own. The first night you might haveto rock him to sleep, rub his back etc. Good luck I know its hard.
  • I agree with the other posts.  This sounds like me.   i stayed up all night waiting for my baby to cry too.  I was having trouble with my 6 1/2 month old.  He hardly ever napped during the day and was up 2-4 times a night.  I found out that if i stopped going in there every time he made a peep then he would put himself back to sleep.  It did take a few days to get him into that routine of putting himself back to sleep but it is worth it now. If he would cry i would wait 5 minutes then go into his room and rub his back without talking to him then i would walk out.  if he cried i waited 10 minutes then do the same thing until he went back to sleep.  It is rough when they cry but they are capable of sleeping through the night.   he sleeps from 8:30p-7am without a problem now.  And he even started to nap better during the day after that.  I also agree with getting rid of the nap at 6p.  Our full schedule is breakfast at 7:30-8am...plays til 10am....takes 1 hour nap.....eats at 11:30....plays.....snack at 2....naps after snack( lasts about 2-3 hours now)...plays..... eats at 5:30......plays....then at 8pm I start bedtime routine (bath, read 2 books to him, nightime bottle)  If he falls asleep while eating.  I am sure to wake him up a little before i put him in the crib so he knows that i am putting him down, so he doesn't wake up and be surprised that i am not there holding him anymore.  He knows his surroundings then.  I hope this helps

• I think that both Answerdad and flems have given you really good feedback.  So long as your kiddo is gaining weight, developing well and is healthy then a hearty bottle before bed should do the trick.  It sounds like he is grazing throughout the night and so long as he keeps getting to snack he will continue to wake up and want food to go back to sleep.  The other thing that I talk a lot about with parents on the board is instilling the ability to "self sooth" in our kiddos.  This is something that many adults can't do so they turn to not so healthy mechanisms to cope.  "Self soothing" is basically the ability to, when upset or stressed, be able to calm oneself and comfort oneself.  There are many ways that babies can do so, but you will have to help him at first.  For many kiddos a binki works.  For others it's a favorite blanket or stuffed animal that can bring comfort.  When your baby wakes take, for instance, a stuffed animal that he likes.  Help him lay down in his crib, tuck him in with the stuffed animal, talk in a quiet tone without making eye contact, and then leave (assuring that he is safe) so that he can help learn to fall asleep on his own.  THIS IS A HARD process, but take a look at some of the other posts-there are many on this topic.  You are not alone and parents have great success.  Hang in there,

Jess