HELP! Need advice on how to get baby to sleep

• My baby is 9 mo. old now, and I don't know how to teach her how to fall asleep on her own. She use to be okay with me rocking her to sleep but she just gets frustrated because she's too big to be able to roll around and get into a comfortable position. Any advice would be good advice. Thanks!

• With my boys what I did was find something that interests them wether it be the mobile or a musical toy. Hopefully if u do that she will watch it til she falls asleep. Good luck :-)

• This is a great question and a very, very common question on the board.  I want to refer you over to The American Academy of Pediatrics Parent information website as they have a whole section on your very question!  The link is:

http://www.healthychildren.org/English/ages-stages/baby/sleep/Pages/Getting-Your-Baby-to-Sleep.aspx

Let us know if that doesn't answer your question and I'm happy to help,

Jess

• While it may take some time for her to get used to, I used a light up toy that projected scenes on her ceiling. This may take some of the fear away from being in her bed by herself. It is also important to set up a "sleep routine". Do the same routine every night so she knows that it is time for bed. While she may cry at first, let her cry for about 5 minutes and then go back in there and tell her that you love her but that it is night night time. Then leave again. DO NOT PICK HER UP. Keep doing this and gradually increase the amount of time you are gone. Within a few nights she will be going to sleep on her own. Good luck and let us know what works!

• Thanks Jess_BabyRN for the link

• What I did to help my son get on a good sleeping schedule (and it's on his own) is I put him on a schedule. If he is really fussy I will give him a bath before bed time. Usually what I do is I turn off all the lights (no matter where in the house we are) and turn the TV sound off or turn the TV off altogether, I put him in his pajamas, I give him a bottle (and baby food 2 hours before that) usually with rice in it, and when he is done with his bottle I lay him in his crib and most of the time he goes right to sleep and sleep all night long (8 hours or more). If he doesn't go right to bed, I let him play (lights off and distractions off) until I see that he is sleepy or rubs his eyes then I put him to bed. He sometimes fusses a little, but then falls asleep. If you have a lot of concerns and nothing you try works then talk to your doctor.

• How is your baby doing? Are you both getting some better sleep?

• Glad that the link was helpful.  I just wanted to check in and see how things are are going.  I would love an update. :)

-Jess