Sleep patterns of a one month old

• My daughter just turned a month old on the 3rd of January. She has been pretty good about having more awake time during the day but normally fades in and out between midnight and 2am before she settles down for a good 5hr stretch at night. A lot of people have been telling me to keep her up during the day so she sleeps better at night, but I have also heard that babies will start to change their own sleep patterns around 6wks. I feel like with her being this little still that if she needs the sleep, I should let her have it otherwise I end up with a fully fed fussy baby and I don't want her to get over tired either. What do y'all think? Should we wait it out another week n see if she starts to work it out on her own? How do you even keep a one month old awake?
  • My baby boy is 6 months old. I wouldn't recomemend keeping your little one awake.  If she wants to sleep then let her sleep.  During my classes before my son was born they said that 5 hours of sleep for a newborn is considered all night.  It has just been in the last month or two that my son has started sleeping through the night.  Although, he does cry out for his pacifier several times during the night.  He doesn't wake up, but we have to wake up.  That started around 4.5 months and it's getting better now, he may cry out once a night now and some nights not all.  Your baby has to find her own sleeping pattern.  Do you have a night time routine? Something calming that can act as a signal to her that it's time for bed. 

• At one month if she is sleeping a 5 hour stretch at night you should be thankful! Always trust your doctor of course, but for me that sounds like a good stretch and at that age, babies need their sleep! If she is sleeping five straight hours now she will likely be sleeping through the night by two months and maybe napping twice during the day. But I know plenty of moms and dads who would love to have five hours of uninterrupted sleep with a one-month old. Good luck!

• If you're really concerned about her sleep patterns then i'd give her doctor a call and ask what's normal and healthy for her age group... That bring said with my own daughter i operated under the same belief as you. for the first month of her life she slept a LOT. She would be up for about 30 minutes to an hour then sleep 2. the second month she was up for about an hour then down and down an hour and a half. Eventually over the next several months the extreme amounts of sleep started to fade and she is awake most of the day and sleeping at night. I  don't stress out if from time to time she seems to be sleeping a lot because i have found that with my daughter it usually means that she's growing.... So at that young of an age from what info you have given i would say that she is normal. Babies sleep a lot in the beginning. She should change her sleep patterns on her own as she gets older, and unfortunately there's little control you can have over them. true you could try to keep her up during the day to make her sleep better at night, but at what cost? If it were me i'd just ride it out until she's around 3 months and then start some sort of sleep training if you feel that it is needed. many parents start a bedtime ritual early on so that babies become clear on when bedtime is. It also puts them at ease knowing what to expect. anyway i hope some of this helps.

• I think part of her being up between midnight n 2 am is that both my husband and I worked 2nd shift while I was pregnant (he still does). So she's used to us getting home around 11:30 and then not settling down until 1am or so when she was in the womb. Which is no longer how I want things to be. She's already seeming to settle into bed the last two nights around 11pm so I'm hoping she's starting to get things turned around. We don't have a nightly routine but I would like to start one with her. Since she doesn't really have a set napping schedule during the day, I'm not sure how that would work.
  • Well a nighttime routine doesn't really have to coincide with a daytime schedule. It's more or less the things you do before baby goes to bed at night. For example many parents choose Bath then, book, then bottle, then bedtime. I know that having a bath always makes my daughter sleepy, a book helps get her settled down and relaxing, the bottle fills her belly so she'll sleep well, then finally to sleep. Doing these things in the same order every night will help your baby come to realize when it is bed time. Also it will put her at ease knowing what is coming next all the way until she closes her eyes and falls asleep. once you have this pattern down to where she easily goes to sleep when you have finished the routine you could probably start changing the time that you start the routine thus changing bed time all together. As far as a daytime routine is concerned you can count on one developing then changing shortly after. My daughter has had countless daytime routines since she was born, and has just recently just settled into one that i hope will last until at least toddler hood. Anyway you'll find your schedule, just give it time.  

• I think a five hour stretch for a one month old baby is awesome.  I wouldn't wake her unless it was time for a feeding during the day.  Being that she is sleeping so long during the night it doesn't seem like she has her days and nights confused. 

• One month old is pretty young to be getting more than a 5 hour stretch of sleep. Babies naturally wake up at that age and eat fairly frequently. It's how they grow and develop. Don't worry about keeping your baby up. When she needs to sleep, let her nap. Eventually she will be wakeful for longer and longer periods of time, giving up the constant naps and settle into 2 a day. Often a baby that is kept from napping ends up sleeping less, ironically, because they can't soothe themselves when they are tired. Hang in there - you are doing great by following your instincts! 

• well my girl is turning 9 mos old this month and i let her do what she wanted other than because of where we were living and it made it easier on me to do it i had her set on a feeding schedule and though she hated it at times i still managed to get her to eat with in 15 mins of the feeding times. she slept when she wanted and slept through the night and when i say through the night i mean 9 out of 10 times it was from 10:30 or 11 pm till 7 am no waking up. the best you can do is to try to make a routine or figure out the baby's routine and stick to it. chart it any way you can from diapers changed to amount of formula drank. if you have an android phone there is an app in the google play store called baby care. i love it. i can chart everything from growth to meds to diapers (including type) to food and formula to sleep time and back again. its an app with the works for a baby.

• i know my little girl has her days and nights confused because we get her set in what our families day and night is and then low and behold it ends up changing and its about 1-2 weeks and she follows suit and when we need to change it back or have an unexpected early day follow a normal day its hard to get all 3 of us adults to bed at a decent time with a 9 mo old still wired for sound. like right now we just did father in laws birthday cuz we are spending time  at the in laws plus girlfriend has an appointment for a blown knee and such and she is just sitting here babbling away and eating her small share of birthday cake.