First words?

• i am a first time mother and my son is almost 9 months old. he hasn't said his first word yet, not even mama or dada. :(  he goes back to the dr in a few weeks for his 9 month check up and the dr told us that he should have spoken his first words by time he came back to her. I was just curious to how old most kids are when they speak their first words.

• Don't get overly concerned... it's great to hit those milestones when the docs say, but be patient... he's still very young! Babies have their own schedule and just because yours hasn't yet spoken, it's not a big deal. When you go back to your doctor, discuss your concerns. My sense is that it is a long time before your doc will be very concerned. If your doctor has concerns regarding your baby's development, there are many federally funded early intervention services available that will be able to help bridge any gap. My oldest niece didn't speak until she was more than two! With early intervention, my sister had her up to speed by kindergarten and I am proud to say she was just accepted to every one of the colleges she applied for the fall of '13!

• I'm glad that you baby is seeing the doc soon, that will clear up any worry that there might be.  Is he babbling or making other noises?  Speech starts, just like all other developmental milestones on a huge spectrum age wise.  So kids start out with mamma, dadda, etc. at a much earlier age than others.  Other kids seem to take it all in and then one day have a lot to say.  So long as hearing is good (and the doc can address this), then i'd imagine he's just waiting and one day will amaze you with his vocab.  Don't worry to much, worry won't help-you are doing everything right. :)

-Jess

• I agree with AnswerDad. I had the same concern about my own daughter, she would babble mamamamama but not connect it to me. It took a bit of work, but we managed to encourage her to speak and understand what she is saying. She is 11 months old now and knows mama, dada, baba, ball, Hippo... and can say the first three, but tries to say the others. I have heard from many parents that first babies tend to take longer learning how to speak. Then when the second baby comes along they have an older brother or sister speaking to them constantly and tend to pick up on speaking earlier and faster. Anyway that is what i have been told.

• @ Jess He is babbling and acting like he wants to say some words but just hasn't figured it out yet. It's not a BIG worry just kind of curious. I think he will pick up on the words soon. Just in the past couple of days i can already tell a difference in how he is making his sounds. His hearing is good they checked it a couple months back along with his eyes. Thanks for the words of incouragement!!! :)
  • s2012snow, what the gender of your baby? If boy, I think most boys don't speak early. But girls speak early.

• s2012snow, Try to talk to your baby every time your with him/her just like what I did to my baby girl. Now my little girl speaks too much...But anyway some of our neighbors here experience also the same thing with you most especially on baby boy. Our neighbor here, her baby at age 3 yrs only speak M instead of Mama and P instead of papa. But upon reaching age 4 he can completely speak right.

• I'm so glad to hear that hearing is not an issue and that this little one is babbling!  Great news so far as health.  :)  I would, as one other poster suggested, talk as much as you can to him.  Reading books and listening to music can also help babies make the neurological connections in their brain that they need to develop normally.  I think that you are doing a terrific job from everything that you have said.  Keep up the good work and keep us in the loop!

-Jess

• Agree with other posters - it's encouraging that he is babbling, cooing, making noises, etc. Usually the milestones of first words, etc. are a general guideline. Not every child will fall into the guidelines exactly - it makes for a world full of unique and individual people. :-) Hope your doctor appointment goes well! 

• Different babies reach their milestones at different times. If it does concern you, talk to your doctor about it. I also have a 9 month old son and he says dada all the time (he said mama first but then dropped it for dada lol), but he hasn't gotten crawling down yet. He low crawls mostly and can do a few steps of the belly off the floor crawl. Anyway, just ask your doc, but try not to worry about it. It isn't uncommon.

• I agree with the idea of speaking with your baby as you speak to adults. Limit baby talk (usually your relatives will do much of their conversation in baby talk to make up for it!) and speak about what you are doing in your daily activities when baby is present.

• His gender is male. He is still making progress in making his sounds but no words yet. He turned 9 months on feb 8 and is crawling and pulling himself up with everything. He went from pulling himself across the floor with his arms to pulling up and then started crawling. We do listen to the radio alot and I talk to him all the time so hopefully before long he will start talking back to me. ;) Thanks for all the advice and words of encouragment!!!  

• It's great to see him hit those milestones! Cherish those moments! They go by quickly!

• It sounds like you are on the right track.  Just keep watching and keep talking to him!  Do keep us posted and have a low tolerance for any concerns that you have.

-Jess

• s2012snow, hope you learn a lot from the people here.Just like me I learnt a lot from this website..