Hating hats

• My little boy really hates hats and he won’t leave them on when we are out and about. In the winter, I really worry about him getting too cold because he has such a bald head! What can I do when he is crying all the time with them on? --Julie, StrongMoms Facilitator

• Wow... I haven't heard this before. What about hoods? Is there something in particular her hates about the hats? This is with all types of hats?

• Hazel doesn't really like hats either.. but it's more a dislike than a hatred. every time we put a knit hat, ball cap, or anything that touches her head on her she will pull it off. I have found that if i double up and put the knit hat on and then a jacket with a hood over it then she will leave it alone.. not sure why, but for her it works. otherwise she has to be busy with something that is more pressing than the hat.. like when i took her out to play with the fall leaves for the first time. Not really sure what you could do to help him keep the hats on or get him to like them... maybe try positive association. put a hat on him and give him a teething cracker. eventually he may associate wearing the hat with something good like getting a cookie and learn to accept them. Just a thought though, not sure if there is really anything to that.

• My daughter is like this. I had to buy a hat with the long tassels and tie them(the tassels) under her chin. I know you can get owl designs or customize with others. Once she wears it a few minutes and unsuccessfully is able to pull it off she will wear it with pride

• Have you tried a hoodie? My son pulls his hats off, but he can't pull his hoodie off and it doesn't seem to bug him as much. Also, maybe earmuffs? If they make them for babies.

• I found a hat with ties on it. Then he couldn't pull it off. He cried for the first few minutes but then he got the idea that it wasn't an option and he moved on! LOL! I think that he will get used to it if he knows he can't get it off. Plus if it is really cold, then he will like it on!

• Ah, getting a hat with ties will probably do the trick. Funny how you can't seem to think of simple solutions sometimes! Thanks for the tip - I'll give it a try! 

• Me too, my little girl hates hat, headband and she doesn't even like combing her hair. Most of the time her hair cover her face but still she doesn't even like hair clips. 

• That's a good idea, I will apply that to my little girl also. 

• Agreed Julie... sometimes you just need somebody else to suggest something that should be common sense to all of us at this point!