Suddenly Waking in the Middle of the Night

• My 7 month old son has been sleeping completely through the night since he was 8 weeks old, besides the occasional waking because he wanted his pacifier.  I used to go in his room give him his pacifier and he would be right back to sleep.  Well all the sudden he has been waking up in the middel of the night up to two times.  He is in bed, putting his self to sleep by 7:30.  He's out until between 11:30 and midnight.  Sometimes I can get him back to sleep with his pacifier, holding his hand in bed, or sometimes I have to rock him a bit too.  A few times I have had to nurse him (still breastfeeding) before he falls back asleep.  Then he would wake up again between 3:30 and 4:30 am.  During that time the only way to get him to settle down and go back to sleep would be to nurse him. 

I'm a bit worried that I am forming a bad happit of feeding him in the middle of the night.  But this could just be a growth spert, right?  And he just cut his 3rd tooth yesterday too.  Maybe it's all related to teething. 

• Chelle-

What a good kiddo and what a good job you have done with helping him develop good sleep habits! I am very impressed. :)  I think that you are right that he might be hungry related to a growth spurt.  I would keep doing exactly what you have been doing-when he wakes see if he just needs some comforting with his binkie and some calming words.  If he doesn't settle I would then try feeding him.  I think the key with that is to make sure that he gets an adequate snack so he isn't up in another hour hungry again.  Keep up the good work you are doing!

-Jess

• Chelle - Sleep issues are so frustrating! It could be a number of things. A growth spurt and teething are very real issues. They can definitely cause babies to wake up and need the comfort of nursing during the night. 7 months old is a time when babies due traditionally have a growth spurt. Sometimes babies at this age start to experience separation anxiety and cry to make sure you are there. It is usually something they will grow out of...hang in there and hopefully your little guy will be back to normal before long. 

• Chelle-

It's been a few days since you last posted and so I wanted to check in and see how that baby of yours is doing.  Is the little guy letting you get some sleep, or are things still rough?  Is there anyway that we can further support you?  These times can be challenging and I know it's nice to have a place to reach out.

-Jess

• Jess - Thanks!  I learned a lot from my first child.  In fact you helped me with my concerns with her too.

Julie - I am seeing the whole separation anxiety with him too.  During waking hours, while he is playing, if I go out of his sight he crys too.

Update - My little man is almost back to his normal sleep habbits.  He still wakes up once or twice but goes back to sleep without a feeding.  Thank you so much for your help and kind words.  I knew I couldn't go wrong asking the Strong Moms team.  You helped me so much with my first child as well.  It's just amazing how much you forget (or block out) from your first child.