Daycare Decisions

• My husband and I have always been fortunate to work opposite shifts with work, so one of us has always been home with our kids. That may be changing soon and I’ll need to find some part time day care for our boys. What aspects of day care have you found to be important? What things do you wish you had known to look for when selecting a day care provider? ~Julie, StrongMoms Facilitator

• I think that the most important things are: safety of area that child will be in, staff to child ratio, philosophy matches my philosophy, and my gut feeling tells me it's a good place.

-Jess

• I have a good friend that has recently had to find a new daycare for her children and what basically sold her on the new day care center is the reviews of other parents, and seeing first hand how they handle emergency situations. I few weeks ago in Iowa we had a string of REALLY bad storms (one of which produced several tornadoes within 15 miles of my house).. anyhow my friend happened to be checking out that particular daycare facility when the tornado sirens went off and the staff kicked it into high gear putting 3 babies to a crib and wheeling them to their safe area... no hesitation each member of staff new exactly what to do to get the children out immediately and keep them safe. In the Midwest and other areas that regularly get extreme storms i think that is a must.

• I was lucky enough to find a job at a Church that had a Daycare Service.  I get a discount for bringing the newborn and I'm right there with her in the building.  Best of all these workers have been here years and are all Mommy's.  I feel so comfortable, whereas I didn't at all with my first child when it came to picking out a Daycare.  I've worked in many of them, and all of them seemed to have a bug problem, or were negligent when it came to the care and attention of the children. 

• Apple_Fritter, that sounds just perfect!

-Jess

• It's really hard. One of the things that helped us was dropping in on a daycare when they are at full capacity and not expecting you. How organized do they seem? Depending on the age of your children, how engaged are they? Do you think the staff is trustworthy? What is the facility like? Let's not discount the importance of convenience of proximity near work/home and cost. If one facility is significantly more expensive than another, what exactly are you getting for the extra money? Bottom line is it is a difficult decision to make and there are many, many factors to consider. Good luck in the search!

• Thank you for all the advice!! It's so helpful to get different perspectives and have people raise issues I may not have considered. It's going to be hard no matter what to figure out where to take our two little guys but at least I have some great support. :-) 

• Please let us know what factors ultimately won out when you decide Julie.

• I agree with you COMPLETELY.  The one I'm at seems okay and there kinda active. but the daycare recently checked out seemed really on point from what I saw and the hrs are day and night, they also had  certification in early childhood or degrees and background checks. Don't want nothing happening to my child. There rather pricer then the one I'm with but it seems like it would be worth it but, husband doesn't want to change daycare. I visited at nap hr when they least expected it and seemed ok from what I seen. They range from infants to school age. Smile

• I just visited the other day.  Darn the 2 more weeks I have to wait to get my Doctors release. XD

• I can imagine they want everything at the one was visiting dental, medical, birth certificate, and several other things its seems like long and through process.